clonking when taking up drive/changing gear

Series 2A with a diesel lump.

When i pull off there is a metallic clonking noise (like something is rattling back and forth or has lots of play in) as the clutch just starts to bite. It is there as i clutch up between 1st and 2nd and a wee bit between

2nd and 3rd too. The higher the revs the less it seems to happen.

If i rev it quite high and almost slip the clutch as i change gear it doesnt seem as prominent - it seems to happen between the clutch starting to bite and actually finishing the job.

Any ideas what it is likely to be? Is it going to be a gearbox thing? :(

Its not the UJs in the rear prop as i have checked them.

Reply to
Tom Woods

"A" frame ball joint? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I aint got any A-frames!. leaves on a series.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You didn't leave your false teeth on the dash before you pulled off? they may have fallen into the footwell and are rattling about......

then again it could be the clutch friction plate springs?

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

'Course not, glad you didn't go looking for one! Sounds a bit like the 'box then. ( But what do I know?)

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

worn bushes? engine mountings ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek

It is contributed to by all the possible free play points in the drive train

- gears on splines, end play on the transfer intermediate cluster, play on splines in the gearbox, transfer case, output flange, prop shaft, differential gears, both ends of the half axles.

But, it is usually hardly noticeable, even when there is a lot of play, EXCEPT WHEN THE HANDBRAKE IS DRAGGING or occasionally given very poor driving technique. I expect that you will find that the handbrake is adjusted too tight or the linkage (or expander) is (almost) seized or the pull-off spring broken or missing and is dragging or it is full of oil from the rear transfer case seal with the same effect. JD

Reply to
JD

you might be onto something...

My handbrake drum is full of oil (it is dripping out of the bottom!) and it was adjusted right up as far as it will go so it would get through its MOT.

I had noticed today that my handbrake was working unusually well (it actually gripped after a few clicks rather than being just after the last click where you almost wrench the gearbox off its mounts..), so perhaps it is binding.

I did buy the oil seal on a recent trip to see richard, so i'm half way towards doing it! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Is this a symptom of a worn clutch?

The clutch is only 3 or 4 years old (and perhaps 5-10k miles) so it shouldnt be that but stranger things have happened (before this clutch my new release bearing fell apart after 6 months of driving!)

which bushes? only got suspension ones on here.

engine mounts are good as i poked em when i pressure washed the engine bay the other day. gearbox mounts look to be solid too (they dont move a lot when i put the handbrake right on!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

poking em wont really tell you a lot loading them with a tyre lever is the thing to do that way you can spot the separation or excessive engine movement or not as the case may be ditto CV joints Hulk Hogan can probably make wear obvious a small tyre lever is needed for me to make the joint move unless its nearly hanging off Bushes - its been a hell of a while since I laid under a leaf sprung landy the bushes at the ends of the springs obviously, shocker bushes usually just squeak unless totally knacked can't think of owt else. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sounds like the Transfer box needs topping up ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D