clunking

Muffin has a clunk, it seems to be coming from the gearbox area but could be the front prop shaft, it only seems to happen once I've driven a few miles (10 or so) and it happens when I dip the clutch and apply the brakes to come to a stop, though I've tried dipping the clutch without applying the brakes and it tends to happen then too, though when I come to a stop the clunking stops. It's a kind of propshaft shaking around kind of clunk rather than a something hitting something clunk.

Any ideas boys and girls?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

What about when you go from 1st to reverse?

I had a braking-clunk which was a bush thing. Replacement bushes solved it. But from what you've said am I right in thinking it's a series of clunks rather than just the one?

Reply to
David French

Twas Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:14:32 -0000 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

multi-clinking. it does the usual take-up-the-slack clunk on acceleration or deceleration, I expected that, but this is a lot of clunks together, stops only when the vehicle stops moving, hence my suspicion of drivetrain somewhere. 1st to reverse only gives the taking-up-the-slack type clunk.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Have you ruled out a stone in the brake discs? Hoping it's an easy solution...

Reply to
David French

Twas Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:41:11 -0000 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

I've not checked for that but I don't think it's likely as it's with or without braking and appears to be central rather than one side. Also I'm fairly sure it's a movement type problem rather than a something hitting something type problem. However I will check in order to rule it out.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Is the handbrake dragging at all? I had similar symptoms of a Series 3 I used to own and recently with a Discovery. On the Discovery the operating mechanism siezed, leaving the brake dragging and I got all sorts of expensive sounding clonks which initially made me thing driveshaft UJ's, transfer box input shaft........

Steve H

Reply to
Steve H

Twas Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:18:40 GMT when "Steve H" put finger to keyboard producing:

It freewheels when I release the handbrake.. guess that rules that out.. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Sounds like spring bushes to me. Or balljoint/radius arm bushes if it's a coiler. Particularly if it goes clonk a few times just as you're coming to a complete stop.

Check the propshaft UJ for slack first, as the two faults produce similar noises. Find a suitable bump, somewhere at a verge etc and try going over it a couple of times with each wheel. Aiming to get about

9-12" of axle movement, if it clunks when you go up or down the bump then it's bushes. If not, it might still be bushes though, when were they last changed?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Twas Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:50:27 +0000 when Alex put finger to keyboard producing:

It's a coiler, I'll get under it somethime next week and try moving things around, I don't know when the bushes were last changed (I just bought it) but I'm sure it wasn't recently. If it's bushes should I try moving them by hand or is that pointless?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

No it doesn't!! I had a slightly loose handbrake expander on my SIII a while back, very similar symptoms. At low speed when decellerating would make repeated clunks. Handbrake was fully released and couldn't feel any noticable drag from it. It was the shoes moving about inside the drum just momentairily catching and releasing. If it's not that, have a look at the props for play - similar low speed symtoms when you've a failed hardy-splicer joint. The vibrations don't become that noticable until the joint's are quite dead, but low speed knocks are apparent with oly a bit of play sometimes (talking v. low speed here).

Good luck Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner
90 300tdi does same thing, also did my range rover . its annoying to say least . on my present 90 i found that the backash in the front diff is fairly high , almost 60 degs of rotation before it moves anything .

my other N/A diesel 90 is not so bad but less backlash and of course much less power to it .

on the range rover i found the noise was either coming when i went round corners or when i slowed down and braked , and also when stopping and the chassis "rolled back " upon stopping .

the clunking was due to one of the bolts holding the front panhard rod to the axle . mainly it seemed that the bolt was slightly loose and the hole in the axle bracket had enlarged slightly .

with the bolt being not quite tight enough to stop it moving , youd get it slip everytime the vehicle rolled around whilst driving . it is just a clunk that feels as if it comes from under youre feet .

i couldnt seem to get it to make the noise whilst i jacked it up and checked manually by hand , but it would do it when driving .

you can try tightening the 2 bolts up on each side of axle , but i think mine was just drivers side that needed doing .

i welded a washer on the axle bracket because the hole was enlarged too much on my brackets and the bolt still moved even with it tightened up more .

if you get clunking whilst changing gear , ie using clutch , then thats the slack in the front diff , allowing prop too much slack , mine does this .

Reply to
M0bcg

Twas Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:14:26 -0000 when "Andy Warner" put finger to keyboard producing:

Something else I'll check then...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

No, use a prybar or a crowbar, place one hand on the component to be tested, about 6" from the bush, insert the bar in a suitable place and lever it about whilst feeling for movement. Mind you, if you can feel movement just by shaking it, then they definitly need changing.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

i have the same clunk, i think. my 110 CSW ('94 300tdi), clunks every time i change up a gear just before the clutch engages and also seems to clunk just before i come to a stop. if you drive at a constant speed then back off and re-apply the throttle it bangs/clunks as drive is taken up again.

i have had the two uj's changed exiting the transfer box and the rear A-frame ball joint has been checked and found to be ok. i thought it might be linked to the poor 1-2 change syndrome of my r380 gearbox, which grinds really badly, no matter how slow you change. perhaps output shaft bearing? it is very bad and very loud all the time but still goes ok and nothing seems to have fallen off..........yet. i drive just over 500 miles a week on the motorway in it, thankfully av avoiding too many changes.

let me know if you solve it matt

Reply to
matthew davies