Clutch / brake fluid missing, but no leak!

Brake warning light came on my first trip out in the van in a while, stopped and noticed the clutch / brake fluid reservoir was down to minimum. Have since topped it up, and then again when it dropped after use, but checked again today after 1000 mile 3-day trip and it is still on max.

The only thing that has been different from normal is that because I've been out of action, the van has sat for a couple of weeks and not moved. When I moved it for the first time, the clutch pedal was a bit slow in coming back up for the first few uses, which leads me to think it is the clutch cylinders.

Had a good look around all the brakes & pipes and can't see / feel any leaks, same with the clutch cylinders. Tried sticking a board until the engine bay for a couple of days, but no sign of any leak.

Could either of the clutch cylinders be leaking 'internally' without any visible external evidence?

Would rather get to the bottom of it before I'm left stranded on the side of the road!

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Depending on what vehicle we are talking about, the slave cylinder could be leaking into the flywheel housing. If the wading plug is in place this will not then show anywhere. Even without the plug in, a fair bit will have to leak and wet the surface inside before it starts to drip out.

JD

Reply to
JD

It's also possible on some Vehicles - I've had this on a series 3, for Brake fluid to leak INSIDE the cab, check under the peddles (carpet?)

......Smurf

Reply to
Smurf

It's a Citroen van, not a LR I'm afraid! I'll whip off the slave cylinder which looks pretty easy to get at, and make sure it isn't leaking internally anywhere.

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Ahhh, a shit-tin... it doesn't deserve to be mobile ;-)

My expectation is you'll find a trail of fluid down the inside of the firewall under the dashboard (as suggested by another poster).

Reply to
EMB