clutch failiure

Happy New Year!

On Christmas day, I came to a roundabout in the middle of a long journey and noticed that the cluth felt funny. The pedal was much squishier than usual, and the clutch bite point was significantly further down the pedal's travel. It all seemed to work fine, and didn't get any worse for the next hundred miles or on the way back on Boxing day.

It's not been used since then. This morning, the pedal feels squishier still, and I can't get into any gear. Well, I can grind my way into reverse with a lot of noise and shove it out of reverse, but the clutch pedal seems to be having no effect. I didn't try shoving it into any forward gear other than first, cos the parking's a bit tight where I live ;-)

What have I done? I know even less about the clutch than I do about the rest of the vehicle! Any help will be gratefully recieved.

cheers

Olly

Reply to
Olly R

On or around Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:31:28 +0000 (UTC), "Olly R" enlightened us thusly:

hydraulics up the shoot, from the sounds of it. Check fluid, bleed it, it might come back. IME you need a pressure bleeding thing. In fact, IME, replacement cylinders (master and slave) are sufficiently cheap from Paddock et al that there's no point pissing around with 'em. If it don't want to play ball, put new bits on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had this problem and it turned out to be the rubber seals in the master cylinder. I got a replacement rubber pack, and after that lasted a grand total of 4 months realised I should have just bought the whole cylinder as advised by Austin.

Also, although the pressure bleeding kit is a superb bit of kit (tyre connector to pressurize bottle containing fluid, with another connector to a screw cap to fit to the reservoir) before you use it for the first time, connect it without any fluid in to check for leaks on the cap. I didn't and it resulted in the clutch reservoir filling up quickly, then spraying the fluid all over the engine/garage/me/paintwork/cat

Detrious

Thanks both, reservoir was out of fluid, so i topped it up and pumped away and, touch wood, seems to be fine.

Olly

Reply to
Olly R

Sounds like a blown slave cylinder. Easy enough job to DIY. You can get a brand new pattern slave cylinder for around 12ukp. Be careful taking off the hard hydraulic pipe though as it's 1/4" and a bugger to replace, although 6mm unions will do at a pinch.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland