Clutch master cylinder problems!

I´ve had a LandRover for around 8 years now and love them to death. But sometimes I get frustrated, very frustrated! This is one of those times.

The master clutch cylinder gave up around 10 months ago and I replaced with a new one (unknown brand). For some reason it also gave up after a month or so. Now seven months later the third one is giving up. WHY? The first two started to leak fluid into the footwell. The third one has not leaked, which is strange, but behaviour has been exactly the same, started to declutch closer and closer to the floor until nothing happened. Took a few days from start to end.

I took it a part tonight and it was full of aluminium swarf mixed with the fluid and scratched on the inside.

Am I installing the cylinders wrong or are they just crap? How could they destroy themself like this? Is there a real trick or something to really look out for when installing them?

Im almost giving up on this and getting a Toyota! :)

Reply to
Olafur Agust

Nothing particularly special about installing them, although it is possible that the cylinders you are buying are poor quality. Other than this the most likely problem is that you are not maintaining the meticulous cleanliness necessary in installing and bleeding the system. Any traces of dust, oil or water can lead to rapid deterioration of any hydraulic brake system, but in my experience the Landrover clutch system is no more susceptible to this than any other.

Reply to
JD

Surely you're buying poor components - sounds like you've got a couple of m/c s that never had their barrels cleaned out after machining?

Take your next new one apart before fitting to check on it. And see if you can get hold of a genuine part.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Why drunk and or delerious one of the group members swore and cursed by saying:-

Is there a moderator? We cannot have such strong swearing on the group. :))

I have a friend who is a Funeral Director who has a Toyota Landcruiser and his Starter Motor went a few weeks ago, his is a special imported vehicle from Saudi Arabia, the cheapest starter motor was £450 not including VAT and fitting.

I suspect my Disco at £150 is much cheaper. Yeah LandCruisers can be more reliable and hard wearing but when they go wrong they cost big time. The insurance will reflect that. Also consider that he bought his1993 K plate Landcrusier for £8000 and his wife would kill him if he ever went off road in it (I hasten to add that price was only in October last year) so a Disco would cost you less to purchase as well second hand. .

Andrew Renshaw still looking for a cheap series 3 or 110 with 12 seats for less than £1000 (must have an MOT and Tax)

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Twas Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:42:18 GMT when William MacLeod put finger to keyboard producing:

my thoughts exactly.

I fitted a new clutch master a couple of months ago and it was a cheap pattern part, no problems yet but I didn't take it apart and chack it out first so I may well be fitting another.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr Nice,

Is that you in cornwall. Sorry about the Land ROver man it is just outside of my price bracket otherwise I would be in my Disco coming down to you now.

Andrew

P.S. I would never get jap crap.

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

The first two were from Britpart and the one Im installing now is from Allmakes. There is a noticable difference between the two.

I just really dont know what is considered genuine! :) I have seen that a few of the online parts shops are offering two makes, no name brand and Lucas Girling.

Im gonna empty the whole system and fill it with new fluid since it must be contaminated from the aluminium swarf. I only have Haynes to go by to install it. Anyone seen anything inherently wrong with their describtion of this installing? I know there is a lot to say against Haynes otherwise! :)

Reply to
Olafur Agust

Twas 27 Aug 2004 05:16:01 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Olafur Agust) put finger to keyboard producing:

I found mine dead easy to install with the exception of the trouble I had removing the hydrolik pipe (nut was jammed).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:13:15 GMT when "Andrew Renshaw" put finger to keyboard producing:

Hope you find one ;o) for your budget you ought to condider a van-bodies 110 with benches in the back and windows added, more for you money if you don't need the 2 extra side-doors.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around 27 Aug 2004 05:16:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Olafur Agust) enlightened us thusly:

Lucas/Girling is the OE item, but there's no guarantee that they don't all come from the same factory... nor indeed any guarantee that they do. Got a pattern Britpart header tank for the 300 TDi and apart from being a different colour it's identical to the one it replaced.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

previously on a.f.l;

I've recently had the same master cylinder problems. Purchased a cheap cylinder from Paddocks, after about 1000miles it failed and leaked fluid past the cylinder and into the rubber shoe.

I purchased the valve seal repair kit and took the old one apart. In side it was full of aluminium swarf. At first I thought this was from the shoddy manufacturing process, but on closer inspection found that the oppening rod that runs inside the spring was worn down one side. The swarf had probably damaged the seals and casued it to fail. The repair kit was cheap and nasty, the valve seals were badly made, some punched off centre and to top it off did not fit. Sent all this backt to Paddocks for a refund, but heard nothing from them.

Replaced it with a OE Lucus unit. The Lucus is a very different piece of kit; the finish is better, construction better, they fill the shoe with grease, resevoir top is better. Could not look inside because of all the grease, but hopefully thay use a better steel valve rod and parts that fit and wont rub together as much.

Fingers crossed I get more than 1000 mile out of this one.

David

Reply to
DavidM