Clutch Pedal Pressure

Having spent a couple of weekends driving the 110 across Wales and towing heavy boats around, plus a lot of climbing ladders, lifting masts and so on, I've spent this weekend at various medical establishments having found walking impossible with the pain in the left knee.

It appears to be a badly inflamed tendon, and I have some welcome orders to rest.

When I changed from the petrol 110 to the 200tdi, the first thing I noticed was how heavy the clutch was. Nothing looked terribly wrong in the pedal area, but I had been wondering if there are any figures anywhere for how hard it should be to push the pedal down. I was thinking I could measure with something like some small bathroom scales between hand or foot and pedal.

SWMBO has been saying "It's that Land Rover", so it would be good to know if it is normal or if it needs some urgent attention.

Luckily my other car is an automatic, so I'm still able to escape now and again.

Reply to
Bill

have heard that a heavy clutch is a sign of a needed replacement

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hirsty's uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I can support this in more ways than one.

I suspect though will never be sure that my IIa led to all my knee troubles which resulted in a cartlidge op. (Double declutching and a seat mounted too high - now sorted)

I have now pretty much recovered but recently aquired a 110 from Nige off this group. The Clutch was an absoloute bitch when I got it. Fortunately as it happens the gearbox let go within 90 miles of my ownership so the box was replaced and in the process so was the clutch, flywheel (cracked) and full clutch kit what ever one of those contains.

The clutch now operates as I would expect... firm but not requiring a Navy Seals induction session to change gear which is what it felt like before.....DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND GIVE ME TEN!....

As for figures..dunno but it was very temping to use two feet to press the bugger.... and I'm not really a little dude. I've driven RRC manual x2 Series IIa x1 and 101. The 110 was by far the worst but now feels same as the rest having been sorted.

Go and test drive another 110 to get an idea.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

I have no mates, know no-one else locally with another 110, and can't actually drive a clutched vehicle at the moment until the knee recovers.

However, she just went out, so I rose from my sickbed, limped down the stairs with the bathroom scales and with the aid of a block of wood as a spacer took a clutch pedal pressure reading of 4 stone or 25 kg. All approximate, of course.

The clutch seems to work fine, so I am still hopeful that the pressure seeming higher than on the 2.25 petrol is a feature caused by the need to handle the higher power of the 200tdi engine.

Reply to
Bill

On or around Tue, 1 May 2007 21:58:54 +0100, Bill enlightened us thusly:

The clutch shouldn't be notably different on the TDi compared with a petrol one. summat up wi'it, I'd suggest.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you live in North Kent you are welcome to try mine ( 98 110 98k origional clutch )

Reply to
Hirsty's

In message , Hirsty's writes

Wirral. Near Chester. :-( But many thanks.

Reply to
Bill

You could offer to ply Lee_D with a couple of bevvys or ask him nicely :) Him and I are both kinda close to you but I dont have a 110!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi Bill, Sounds like replacement clutch needed. My 300TDI was like that until we put a new clutch in and then it was much lighter. Never going to be as light as a feather but on a scale of 1-10 I would say it brought the pressure down from a good 8 to about 3 or 4. If you see what I mean. Bryan.

Reply to
b.baskerville

I was told that was because the LR clutch is a "cushion" clutch whatever that is and the sign of it needing replacment is that it is very hard to operate

Reply to
Hirsty's