Clutch sounds on a Disco 1

I recently had the Clutch on my Disco 1 replaced. It now ( 2 months on) sounds peculiar. There is a slight noise from it that disappears when I depress the clutch. The sound varies with the engine sound and sometimes is not there at all if the engine is hot. Otherwise the clutch is behaving perfectly

Question is does anyone have any idea what it might be. Does it sound like a clutch relaese bearing or might it be the shaft in the gerabox itself?

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

Dry bush in the end of the engine crankshaft, or someone's put the wrong grease in there?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sounds like the thrust bearing. It should have been replaced at the same time as the clutch but my old Disco always did it. Come to think of it every vehicle I've ever had does it a bit, even new ones. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Input bearing on the gearbox.

Worry not about it - "They all do that sir".

Reply to
EMB

Unlikely to be either thrust bearing or spigot bearing if the noise disappears on depressing the clutch pedal. I'm with the pinion bearing, too.

I imagine that this noise is heard (largely) whilst at rest. Another thing that you could try is to engage each gear with the transfer box in neutral and see if the noise is any different at any time.

Reply to
Dougal

Well, he did say the noise disappeared when pressing the clutch which means the gearbox is not turning and it's most likely to be a bearing in the box, possibly also the layshaft jangling about, or the input shaft which I don't think is as likely because it is fed from a pump with oil. But the noise is not described.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes! ...... scrabbles around hoping that I've read the original correctly......

"There is a slight noise from it that disappears when I depress the clutch."

Reply to
Dougal

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the thrust bearing take the load when the clutch is depressed, hence the noise? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Yeah, got that arse about face didn't I? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB