Clutch Woes

On my way to work this afternoon, I caught this lovely smell of burning clutch, followed shortly by severe clutch spin, and then a clunk followed by loss of all drive. The Beast had died :-(

Nice mr AA man towed me home after diagnosing a possible clutch fault !!! which he coouldn't fix at the side of the road. Are you sure you don't want towing to a garage sir, do you know what is involved in a clutch change in one of these??? Yes I'm sure.

Got it home, managed to get the afternoon (2pm to 10pm shift) off work, being the shift manager made it a lot easier ;-) took off the flywheel cover and pulled out handfuls of friction plate :-( Decided to remove all wings etc to facilitate engine removal once crane arrives.

Wallet is now £111.98 lighter having ordered a new friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing and slave cylinder. Basically the conclusion is that the friction plate is u/s, the clunky bang may have been the pressure plate fingers letting go, and while we are at it we may as well do the rest of the clutch assembly for good measure, and the parts arrive Wednesday

Engine crane arrived about 10 mins ago, so come the morning.........

All this, and we are running a night run on Saturday night.... Can I get it done and bedded in in time........

Only trouble is I have to work for the rest of the week due to commitments for meetings to start our winter build up (we make fresh soup), and other such projects, so I will be up and outside 7am rain or shine until 12 so I can get ready for work.

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Just had a look at the Peterborough 4x4 club website. Bruce used his E-type Jag to move some plaster and a couple of bag of cement. It didn't like it very much at all. That's when he dicided he really should get a van, so he sold it for £600. This was about 1979. He bought a guitar for £400 and the rest went on a van for work.

-- Nikki

1990 Discovery V8i 1985 Range Rover V8 1975 88" Series 3, 2.25 petrol
Reply to
Nikki