Clutch Worries....

Evening

The clutch in my 90 is starting to worry me...

The pedal has about an inch of play on it before you can feel anything, which is normal.

It bites well, and when its engaged the 90 pulls like a train. I have never felt it slip.

The thing that worries me, is that after the play and as soon as you can feel something on the pedal, it disengages after after about 10mm of travel. If you literally move the pedal down 10mm, you can feel / hear it slip and the engine rev.

Is this a sign that something is about to break?

If so, whats the likely cause, and how much is it gonna cost me.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

What else were you expecting?

Reply to
Dougal

Well I don't know about the detailed numbers you give us,. but when you drive a car for a while and the clutch changes a little, then you sure notice it. In my experience of defenders the most likely thing is that the system is seeping a little fluid, and has just got to the point where the reservior has run out and begun to get air in the system. My 110 TD used to do this, and the simple check is to look in the clutch fluid resrvoir, and if it is short of fluid, then top it up. If your system is getting a little leaky (which it must be), then it will auto-bleed, so drive it around the lanes for a few miles amd the pedal should come back. You will be OK for quite a while - maybe a year..

I found the leak on mine was the slave cylinder, but it was a long while before I bothered to fix it. I think it only needed topping up 4 times in 2 or 3 years.

I have bought a Vauxhall Calibra V6 to go with the LR. I didn't think cars used cable clutches since the 1900s, but yes Opel/GM still do, and it went ping. The cable alone was over =A3100. Don't ever complain about tiny problems with losing fluid in hydraulic clutches, I can probably get the master and slave cylinder in a LR for that price, and they don't fail suddenly with a ping.

Steve (Cheshire)

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

I had the same problem not long after I bought a defender. It was accompanied by a small hydraulic leak in the drivers footwell and found that the cause was the master cylinder piston seal was "Lipped over2 (if there is susch a word). Replacement was straight forward and there is a knack to getting the pedal out easily. If I remember, straighten it out by 'going over centre' so that it comes out easily.

Griffith

Reply to
Griffith