confession time

Dear all,

I'm not the type of person for impulse buying but for some reason i found myself strangely drawn into the local motor accesories shop while on an errand for work yesterday.

Now don't ask me what the hell I was thinking but for some reason I must have thought that I was 18 again and drove a 1.1LX Fiesta with "wide boy" body kit or something, not a RRC Tdi, and saw one of those subwoofer bass box / amp kits, i just had to have it........oh dear.

I spent a couple of hours wiring it in last night after work (requires

8mm power cable which goes straight to the battery!), massive amp woth lots of flashing lights (it goes up to 11!) and i tell you, what childish fun I have had today!! The Alpine stereo head unit I have has a "subwoofer control" function which I seriously abused on the way home. I couldn't resist the look on the faces of the "yoofs" at the local bus stop when I stopped in traffic with all the windows down and turned the vol up. Hilarious fun.

In all seriousness though, the addition of sound quality when properly adjusted is amazing.

Whats not so fun is that the boot of the Range Rover, already containing a box of spares and a tool box is now completely full. We had to take the missus' VW hatchback to Tesco's she wasn't best pleased............

I'm sure that someone out there has bought something worse.......... please?

Maybe a chrome bull bar or some stick on mud? *achhhh*

Mind you at least i'm not having dreams about other alt.fan.landrover users...........yet

edeowner

Lurve Spinal Tap references wherever I can find them - as did the late Jim Marshall to whom the /original/ joke was aimed.

Reply to
Mother

ah, i wondered what well rounded person would pick up on that . I'll have sweet dreams tonight now......not about anyone on the group though

With regards to Spinal Tap, I think Clam Caravan was a particular favourite of mine

Reply to
edeowner

Anyone who has ever bought a radio for a series vehicle (me included) has done something even more pointless. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

.....stick on bullet holes......

Reply to
Brian

Which reminds me...... of the time I tried installing a a radio in my SIIa, I'd already built a box in plywood between the front seats of which I was particularly proud of! Then I recuperated an old radio... which ran off 24v, I thought I'd be clever and install this thing in the box with a resistor to reduce the voltage, shortly after someone told me my Landy was smoking! Needless to say there was a large hole burnt in the bottom of the box... For the 20mins it did work couldn't here the B thing anyway!

-- ...tone

Reply to
...erratic

D wrote ((snip))

Living as I do near a railway crossing (100yds) I get woken up on a regular basis by such bass units, when there's a few in the queue all playing different crap music it can get very annoying. Especially as I seldom drive with a radio on. Personally I think it should be part of the MOT, if the stereo, with everything connected, can be heard more than 10ft from the vehicle when it's on full volume, then it fails. It' just another form of pollution after all.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

He he, I must try winding up the built in system of the DII and walking away at some point to see how much thump thump thump it produces. It can easily, and completely, drown out the road and engine noise on the motorway. OK it's a DII ES TD5 so not as noisy as a Defender or Series but it isn't quiet by modern standards.

If you want a track to give that sub a work out try track 3 or 4 on disc one the Now 63 CD. (I think, it's No.1 Daughters, honest).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It loses some of the street cred if you're pumping out Bing Crosby's Greatest Hits.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You have to fit an amp too so you can hear it!. Fitting a sub in a diesel vehicle kind of cancels out a lot of the diesel rattle too :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hits? there's more than one?

Reply to
William Tasso

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.howhill.com, Dave Liquorice at snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com wrote on 19/1/06 12:08 am:

We've banned any albums that belong to our girls in the Discovery. AC/DC, Green Day or The Air Guitar CD's are the selection at present because we have to listen to enough of their choice in the house....one upstairs with CD player, one in livivng room on another cd player and another updating ipod in the kitchen where the computer also is.

Reply to
Nikki

By which stage the audio gear is worth more than the vehicle in which it is mounted!

Reply to
EMB

My radio/casette player in the Series One Is a "boombox " wired straght to the battery through the plugs in the dash held in with bungee strops!

Works well and I can leave it in the cab, which is currently topless, with out fear of it gettting nicked!

Reply to
Rory

Purely for the sake of research you understand. It's track 3 BTW on Now 62. Something called "Don't cha" by Pussycat Dolls Feat & Busta Rymes. I've noted it in case I ever get to play with a decent full bandwidth PA system, something small with just 10kW per stack would do.

No.1 Daughter is 9 today, she is pretty sensible and the (to some extent deliberate) cheap 'n cheerful CD/Radio/Clock she has doesn't go all that loud.

No.1 Son has yet to show any interest in having his own CD machine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Time to dig out the old issues of Practical Wireless - build summat to give them a shock? Either that or some kind of EMP cannon?

Reply to
Mother

Are you in the UK? How are you driving round at this time of year in a topless landy without getting very cold and wet? I could cope with the cold but i think the wet would annoy me. I already have a wet drivers seat when i get in the landy and i have a roof on!

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Mother" wrote after "Bob Hobden" ranted

I've been thinking about that for some while, a jamming device or something to overload the system, but how to zap a unit playing a CD or MP3? :-( It's the fact that it would be me getting my collar felt that puts me off.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I can't remember anything that interesting in my old copies of PW, dating back to 1970. An excellent way to waste several hours when your should be doing something useful by marvelling at all the old adverts after finding the box in the loft.

How Much?

Why have they pasted a couple of ICs onto her nipples?

And all the valve powered army surplus stuff that was still on the market then.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

Oh how I REALLY wish I'd kept all of my old PW, Everyday Electronics and other assorted, probably quite sad and geeky magazines :-(

Reply to
Mother