Confused about rear lights and brake lights don't work

Well, my sister just informed me after following me that neither of the "wing" mounted brake lights on our '95 Disco 1 V8 are working.

I was aware that the driver side (US) was out for quite a while but I didn't fuss with it for whatever reason -- apathy I suppose. Well, now both are out and I'm confused what light does what.

If I understand this correctly, the BUMPER mounted clusters house the tail running lights, and the turn signals, while the WING (fender?) mounted cluster contains the brake, reverse and fog lights.

Well, in the wing mounted cluster there are three lights then...brake, reverse and fog. What annoys me is that there are also RUNNING tail lights in these same wing mounted clusters. Is this the type of design that uses the same bulb for the running tail light and the brake light (IE the running tail light just gets brighter when you push the brake pedal) If so, when the brake lights burn out, wouldn't the tail lights as well?

Which light does what, from top to bottom in the wing mounted cluster? I need to know which bulb to pull, and which metallic contacts to test for voltage. Further, how in the flying F do you get that cluster out of there? Must just pop out somehow, but this one makes no sense!

The center high-mount brake light IS still working, but that's it. All the running lights, fog lights and turn signals work.

Thanks for any help! I'm quite confused.

Reply to
Anthony

On or around 18 Apr 2007 19:03:42 -0700, Anthony enlightened us thusly:

it's typically a twin-filament bulb though. in the EU it'd be a 21/5W offset pin B15 bayonet fitting.

the rear light can work and the brake light not. Check bulbs first - it's a simple wiring system on the '95 ones, or should be, so less likely to be a silly problem with electronics.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This side of the pond you have a dual filament bulb one for the brake light and one for the tail light. One or other can fail and the other will still work.

I have a Disco II, not sure if a I is the same. You have undo the 4 screws.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK, so it's a dual filament bulb. Which is it then -- the top of the three? So it goes, tail light/brake light -- reverse -- fog?

Which four screws do you mean? I can't see any.

Thanks for the help.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

To remove rear cluster, taken from Haynes Manual. Pull out side facing seat/pocket cover. Undo fastener and remove the access panel to reveal the rear of the light assembly. Remove the seat to improve access (see chapter 12)!! This is the luggage compartment seat. Chapter 12 says Open the seat up and release seat belt from the seat. Slacken and remove the two seat upper retaining screws. Fold the seat down, and unscrew the four lower retaining bolts and remove seat. Disconnect the wiring connector, and undo the two retaining nuts and washers, and remove from the vehicle. Recover the rubber seal fitted between the unit and the body.

Hope that helps Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe.

Reply to
Graham Carter

Like I said I have Disci II, it obviously very different, at least as far as access is concerned if another post is anything to go by... I wouldn't like to say if the bulb order is the same or not anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around 19 Apr 2007 08:03:38 -0700, Graham Carter enlightened us thusly:

you don't need to do that to get at the bulbs on a disco 1 though. it's a bit of a sod with the seat in, but you can get to the bulb holders and they come out of the cluster.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah makes me wonder if the tracks are rusty ( see Kato's MOT failure) but they are a tw*t to free off if that is the case worth undoing the two thumbscrews and checking the cluster IMO. Derek

Reply to
Derek

OK...do they just twist out, or is there anything special I have to do?

Reply to
Anthony

the actual bulb units should provided they are not siezed just come out with about a 1/4 turn. if you need to remove the thumb screws they simply unscrew, feel inside the aperture for a metal cross bar (one low one and one high) they are in the middle.It is difficult on the 7 seater as you cant really see clearly once you are fumbling inside if you pull out the seat so the squab is canted upwards at about 45 degrees you get best view and access shine a torch in and you should see the screws. when the cluster comes free the wiring unclips with pressure from the sides and if the tracks are rusty a bronze brush on a Dremel will clean them up a treat taking care not to grind off the blobs of plastic that hold them in place .

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Well, I managed to replace the bulbs through the access hole without removing the light cluster, and all is well now. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Anthony