Congestion Charges

Someone decided that we had to buy tickets for Last Night of the Proms several months back, *without* consulting the diary, else she would have seen that it clashed with LRO.... No prizes for guessing who's fault it is though......

Anyway, my brother has a friend who lives in Lewisham and are able to park there, so we are driving down because the last train back to Peterborough is before the Proms have finished, and I want to drive home and get back so that I can at least get a day around the show.....

One problwm with this scheme thoug:, I have not been to London by car since the congestion charges were introduced, and cannot remember how they work.

ISTR it is done by number plate recognition? Front or rear? Being a vertically challenged individual means I find it easier to stand on the front bumper, and last night kicked the front number plate off when I got down, so the plate now sits in the dash, and just may end up falling into the passenger footwell ;-) It was held on using No Nails as I did not have any self tappers when I transferred the plates around, and never got round to doing it properly as it was still stuck on!

Do they charge for saturdays and sundays? Like will I end up with one charge for saturday because that is when we enter, and do we get charged again given that we probably wont be leaving untill 1 or 2am sunday morning.

Generally I do my utmost to travel into London only when neccessary and on the train if I can, so have never needed to look at this before!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, waiting on the appointment with the nice man at the MOT station! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

No charge on Sat or Sun. Lewisham is outside the zone. If you come down the M11 and cross the river via the Blackwall tunnel to come off the A102M at Blackheath you can then cross Blackheath on the A2 and turn left into Lewisham avoiding the charge.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Peterborough

Great news! And that was the route given to me by the via michelin website, which is even better!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, waiting on the appointment with the nice man at the MOT station! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

Is there an optimum place to put your registration so it can't be read :)

My front one is tied to the radiator grille, the rear ones are in the usual place.

Reply to
Larry

On another car.

Unfortunately if your registration plate is in such a place that it can't be read then chances are that the chaps with the yellow/green/blue/black and white checks around their hats will want a word. Possibly with their VOSA colleages.

As far as I can tell the system is predominantly rear plate recognition, so you might be able to get away with sticking it under a substantial overhang, but I doubt it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Don't forget either 7 or 9 seats and above are exempt from the charge. Treated as minibus, you need to apply for exemtion. I applied in the first few days and they were too busy but now they should be able to handle the applications.

Reply to
Hirsty's

7 Seats and above? Hmm. I may start taking my Disco into London rather than the "day car"

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Do check, I canot remember if it is 7 or 9. All you need to do is look up the CC website and follow from there.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Bugger, shall have to get the spray on mud out won't I.

Reply to
Larry

Surely it won't be 7. Red Ken has a passionate hatred of SUV/4WD-type vehicles and many of them have 7 seats. Imagine the uproar if it was discovered that these planet-destroying gas-guzzlers, with only the driver in them, were exempt from the congestion charge?

Ha ha! I would wet myself laughing!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Hey I will still pass even as my camper conversion I will have 9 seats :)

Reply to
Larry

It's 9. Time to bolt a couple of bench seats to the roofrack.

Or get a 130 and *really* f*ck him off.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:25:01 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

's got to be more than 9 seats, mind. 9 passenger seats up to 16 is a minibus.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:41:51 +0100 when "Paul S. Brown" put finger to keyboard producing:

I love my 110 csw even more now. not that I ever go to london but wtf.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Now if I were to fix the old bench seats on the roofrack ?????

Reply to
Larry

On or around Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:39:31 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. you could always extend the back body like that one in ennzed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Paint it red and charge Japanese tourists £10 for a ride on your open-top double decker...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs