Cooked Freelander.

It had to happen...

My wife does the school runs in my old '99 1.8 Freelander. She misses out on the symptom that the electric fan suddently have started to run, even on very short drives and in cold weather. She not technical to an extent where she appreciates there's a reason as of why a car needs coolant either. That is until the other day of course.

On the Thursday school run, the engine suddently stops when car is going up hill. Beng busy and focussed at getting kids to school, she just turns the key and get the car going again and it actually makes it to the school.

She somehow manages to get it started again at the school, and actually makes it the 2 mile home, even though the motor stops at a number of occations when the car is doing low rpm's. She states that neither the temp gauge nor the fan was indicating high temp during this rife. Im not entirely sure I believe her, but googling the infamous HG issue, it seems a fact that some freelanders actually has a flaw in the temp sensory system.

Anyway the car makes it to the pavement at the house, and hasnt been able to start ever since. When I got my hands on it, I first checked the coolant and the resoir was all dried out. I added new coolant and turned the key for water-pump to do its work and it seemed to work. I refilled until recommended level and they tried to start the engine, but to no avail.

Turning the key on, the starter happily makes effort to start the motor. It's sounds perfectly normaly, and the engine (as this one normally does) tries to kick in every 5-8 secs, but as opposed to normal it just never does kick in succesfully.

Interrogating the wife, I have asked her if any suspicious noises appeared around the time she kinda forced the car on its final mile, but she states it sounded quite happy but jus couldn't maintain low rpm's on its own.

Anyway down to business. Most likely the head gasket is gone, which can explain the loss of coolant. This may very well be an old defect but has not caused us grief as the car hasnt been exposed to any serous work at all, and as coolant most likely until recently has been present. So it appears as I have got an engine that cannot start due to the trauma of being exposed to excessive heat due to the sudden lack of coolant. Still worthwhile to remember is that car car made it home (unbothered she says), and also worthwhile noticing is that the car alledgedly hasnt given any strange mechanical noises during the last trip, nor when I try to start it as is. It sounds perfectly normal. And also the engine does try to kick in, but its like it just cant keep it on.

I know there is no way of saying for certain, therefore the quetions boils down to :

- what is most likely the matter ??

- if engine is beyond repair, any good tricks of how to get another one ??

- if issue is caused by blown head gasket alone, have any of you (succesfully) replaced one yourself ??

- if engine is dead, and replacem beyong my financial ability, should I sell car as is, or butcher to parts to go on ebay ??

Any comments are welcome. The reason I bother is that despite this being a cheaply bought car, it has actually been a very pleasant experience. Besides the obvious flaws with the engine, the driving capabilities for the Freelander is outstanding. And as this one despite being a '99, has done only 48K and in all other respects are in great condition, I would hate to see it going to the scrap heap.

Cheers

-c

Reply to
carsten.ringsing

misses

actually

should I

despite

great

Is this the notorious 'K series' engine? My youngest daughter bought a Freelander with the K engine last year. All seemed well, no water loss symptoms, inside of rocker box not full of emulsion etc - seemed "a good 'un". Within the week she rang us with exactly symptoms as you describe. Was a blown head gasket, but even with head shaving wasn't enough to cure it. She ended up with a very expensive rebuilt engine, and as a student you can guess who paid ! She's traded it in now and got the sporty model of the Smart - argh !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Well thats alright, when the engine blows up on that you can replace it with one from a petrol lawnmower from B&Q.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Happened to a friend of mine. Cooked head gasket. Cost him £800 to have the head skimmed and a new gasket fitted. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB