Coolant Leak

Hello:

1989 LR Range Rover, 3.5L, auto, North Amer. Spec.

I have developed a coolant leak. The needle decided to move its way to the half-way mark. I pulled over and discovered that the coolant was low. The "Low Coolant Sensor" was bypassed, I found out. I topped the system off at the coolant inlet at the heater hose. Drove down the road and smelled coolant. I popped the bonnet and found a coolant puddle on top of the motor by the firewall and a small puddle on top of the timing cover. There doesn't seem to be a leak at the heater hose bungs on the fire wall nor any other hoses. When I look under the auto, when the motor is running, it appears to be pouring out the back of the motor. Without having done a test yet, the compression seems to be good, no water in the oil or the tranny either.

What should I suspect? Where should I check next?

Thanks.

Reply to
Atlanticmovers

Inlet Manifold Gasket :)

Neil

[...]

Neil Brownlee

Neil:

That's not what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Sorry :(

That's what it was when mine did the exact same thing....*or* you could have a hose off in there (there's quite a few..). Fluid running off the back of the engine though....sounds like inlet manifold :(

Neil

That's not what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Reply to
Neil Brownlee
1989 LR Range Rover, 3.5L, auto, North Amer. Spec.

I just completed a compression test. I did the even side prior to doing the odd side. When performing the test on the odd bank I was getting low numbers. I remember reading once that one should squirt some oil down the cylinder bore prior to conducting the test. I have before and after pressures for the odd bank. All tests conducted using a gauge that reads in PSI. I looked through my rover repair manual and cannot find the correct pressures. Any Help?

I yielded the following results: Pre-Oil: Odd Bank Post-Oil Odd Bank

1= 110 140 3= 80 120 5= 80 120 7= 100 130

Now here is where the motor shined.

2= 150 4= 150 6= 150 8= 150

Question: how can i tell whether or not its the valves not seating properly or a bad head gasket? Cosidering that I'm still leaking coolant from the rear of the engine I'm thinking it may be both the intake manifold gaskets as well as the head gasket. What do you think?

Reply to
Jack Kerouac
[...]

Had similar numbers with the V8 in the 90-now-trialler (see other recent posts). Do a proper job - head off, new gaskets all round, grind valves in (or replace as necessary) and take the opportunity to put a new or better cam in. The whole process was a lot easier than I had feared (first time I'd been into a car engine in a big way, all m/bikes before that) and was well worth it. No proper figures, but general impression is that power is up by 50-100% (yes, that much) and no leaks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:18:30 GMT, "Jack Kerouac" enlightened us thusly:

cylinder head gasket between pots 3 and 5 looks favourite. either that or they're blowing into the valley.

do 'em both while yer at it, extra work to lift the other head is very little, make sure you check the cam and followers etc at the same time as the extra work to pull the cam is not much more either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I would have thought that the increase with the oil means that the piston rings (or rings, pistons, cylinder lining) are worn. The oil works as a temporary seal in that area increasing compression. But I am no expert!

Pieter

0123456789112345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712345
Reply to
pieter

On or around Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:35:57 -0000, "pieter" enlightened us thusly:

well, yes, that makes 'em seal better and gives you more compression pressure.

the variation between cylinders is indicative of a specific fault in one or

2 cylinders.

the results look very similar to those from sister's BF's RR, which had a dodgy gasket on one bank. He changed that one, and subsequently had a similar failure on the other bank...

Reply to
Austin Shackles