Cooling woes

Hi - not been here for a while but, I've got a problem with the cooling on my 3.5V8 110. I had a weep from the top hose so I changed it, and shortly after the pump to pipe (to the heater) went, so I changed that as well. The problem is that the top hose feels as if it is under a lot of pressure, and the header tank was venting tonight. I did notice that the tank is still under pressure when the engine was cold. I've also noticed on a couple of occasions that the engine has run at normal temperature for about 30 minutes, after which it has gone up to just short of the red. I don't want to, but I'm thinking head gasket - there's no sign of water in the oil, or vice versa, but the water in the radiator did seem a bit murky, although it hasn't been changed for a while. Any thoughts? Bob

1990 ex-RAF 110 3.5 V8 17KJ83 1967 3/4 ton Sankey 09ES17
Reply to
hctbn

I havent heard of it on a 3.5, but whip out your plugs, you are looking for one that has been 'washed' clean.

If you find one, sell it right away.

Then search for cracked or slipping cylinder liners.

But that does sound a bit too close for comfort.

Reply to
Nige

The head gasket failed on my 3.9 RR in a spectacular fashion between cylinders 8 and 6 about three years ago, pressurised the cooling system and burst the heater matrix. The repair involved a new matrix (b*************d to fit) and a bottle of Kalimex Seal-Up

It hasn't leaked since thenand I doubt that I did the block any favours by driving from York toSevenoaks with the heater hoses linked to isolate the burst matrix andstopping every 30 miles or-so to top the cooling system up. The trickwith Seal-Up is to flush the block thoroughly and then flush it againand once more for luck. Any contact with antifreeze makes the stuffsolidify. The male fitting on the nylon flexible pipes used toconnect basin taps has the same thread as the radiator top plug andenables a garden hose to be connected to the radiator to force waterthrough the system.

Kalimex K-Seal is similar but doesn't react with antifreeze.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Thanks for that - I've had a good scout around and there's a lot of good comments for the Kalimex so I'm going to give it a go - not much to loose and quite a lot to gain if it prevents the heater matrix from popping!

Bob

Reply to
hctbn

The old 3.5 does sometimes suffer from head gasket leaks particularly when it has overheated following a water leak. Try and get a friendly garage to test the air in the top of the header tank or radiator with an exhaust gas analyser. A quick sniff with one of those will quickly tell you if combustion gasses are leaking into the waterways.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

You're welcome Bob. Go for the Seal-Up version rather than the K-Seal

- if you have the patience to flush the engine REALLY thoroughly. You also have to leave the engine drained of Seal-Up for 12+ hours after treating it. It's very much a case of RTFM and do exactly what it says in terms of leaving the stuff to do it's thing. All of which gave me much more confidence than a simple 'pour in for perfection' solution.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage