Courtesy car....

Piglet is in for open heart surgery today, so I've got a courtesy car.

One question : Diesel...why is so sluggish?! The driving characteristics between a 4.6V8 Disco and a 2.5TD5 one are er.....different. I think the get up and go went. I think a TD5/6 is deffo off my list of things to consider now.

How can anyone get along with that fly by wire pedal?!?!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Puzzles me too - I drive my mates 300TDi regularly and it feels very slow and agricultural compared to my Disco V8 on gas and mine is a little cheaper to run too! He has got a better range than mine though so he makes up a few miles when i stop for fuel. We drove back up the M40 in the early hours a few weeks ago with the cruise set to 95mph in relative silence - he was impressed.

Julian.

Reply to
Exit

in article c9k5n7$fkg$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Neil Brownlee at snipped-for-privacy@pccontrolNOSPAMsystems.com wrote on 2/6/04 10:13 am:

When we bought our Discovery, we also had the use of a diesel Discovery for the day and bought the V8.

Must be like driving our Range Rover(carb not fuel injection) after driving the Discovery - especially since the cam and other bits were done.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Er, sluggish maybe, but it goes twice as far on a litre of fuel...

I once followed a TD6 Range Rover in my 4.6 Range Rover and actually had to give it quite a lot of welly to keep up. I've not driven one myself but I think it's probably a better bet than the TD5.

I still find my van Aakened TD5 sluggish, particularly from a standing start, so if anybody has any suggestions which don't involve either replacing or knackering my engine, let me know.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:31:51 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

Isn't it the van Aaken which has several different states of tune available?

the TD6 is IIRC a 3-litre, which, assuming moderatley similar fuelling, is gonna give it the edge over a 2.5, of any ilk. The 2.5 BMW in the P38 was noted for lack of get up and go, as well. You have to consider that LR have long had a tradition of undersized diesels...

Pity they never got around to building the TD6 as it was originally going to be done, using TD5 parts. I suspect the TD5 is a damned good unit, for its size, and a 3-litre 6 to the same design would doubtless have been a good 'un.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, but if I up the welly to the next setting, I get lots of smoke and about the same consumption as a V8...

Yes, but there are some heavily tuned 2.5 BMW engines out there producing bags of power/torque. Jeremy Fearn uses one for hillrallying (and does very well against V8s). I saw a 2.5D P38 which was alleged to give 4.6s a run for their money. Not sure how long the engine would take this though. I think LR chose the wrong tuning state for the engine. Who wants to spend £40K on a car which can't overtake a tractor?

Reply to
David French

On or around Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:51:21 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

which setting are you using? You may need to look at higher turbo settings and more intercooling, of course... At the end of the day, if you want it to perform like a V8, you'll need to supply almost as much fuel - The diesel engine is more efficient, but probably not by much.

yebbut, that gets you back to your point above. I bet it drinks diesel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Larger intercooler to drop the charge temp and allow a higher boost setting.

How similar is the TD6 to the 3.0 engine in my 3 series bm then? Is it the same bmw engine? It's an absolute stonker in the car, gives 0-60 in under 8 seconds - with an autobox!! Returns over 40mpg averaging 80mph on fast A roads and duel carriageways which I think is excellent considering it's size and the weight of my right foot. My personal feelings towards landrover's previous diesels - and most other manufacturer's diesel engines as well, to be honest, have always been fairly derogatory due to their appalling lack of oomph. The exceptions to this being some of the larger capacity jap stuff.

I've long said that the ideal function for the overweight and underpowered perkins things that uneducateds (my opinion, anyway!) used to fit to series motors, would have been far better utilised as boat anchors! And as for the GM V8, well, it's a fine torquey lump, BUT it's not suitable for a landy of any description, other than maybe a 101. It eats trannys, kills half shafts and when you finally fit front springs big enough to support it, you break the spring mounts from the chassis! This is, of course, if you can stop it from overheating for long enough..... It's a fine engine in a Hummer - leave it there!

Must confess, the first time I drove a TD5 engine'd landy, a 90 hardtop, I was impressed. Landrover had finally fitted a diesel that could accelerate quicker than a tortoise with a hangover! Never had any issues with the fly by wire throttle but then to be fair I've never taken one off-road as yet. Never knew about the plan to build the TD6 from TD5 parts though, Austin, I stopped wasting dosh on the landy comics some years ago now. Might have to buy an LRO soon though, I might be in it! Look for a feature on an LPG'd

200TDI disco rally car!!!

BTW, Austin, did you resolve all your engine probs?

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:48:40 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

the original plan was for a TD4, TD5 and TD6, in 2, 2.5 and 3 litre sizes respectively, using common pistons, liners, injectors etc. Unfortunately, BMW didn't like that idea, it seems. The TD5, which was the first of the bunch, was already too advanced to cancel when they took over.

in a manner of speaking. Googling for a better engine I found one with a disco wrapped round it... Just completed expensive (for me) gas conversion on it, using a big sod-off tank (80l) in place of the petrol tank and a cute alloy petrol tank inside the wing, which holds about 7-8 gallons.

have a look on

for pictures of the tanks... must look into backfire protection though. The kit has cunning switchover which delays shutting off the petrol injectors for about a second after the gas side is energised, which is alleged to make for fewer backfires... I can do without blowing up the AFM though. Mind, has the hotwire AFM actually got a flap in it to get damaged by back-pressure?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Warren's method for this on mine is to leave the hose on the engine side of the AFM 'finger tight'. He reckons the hose will blow off should it backfire, which (touch wood) it never has, despite some provocation.

I think the flapper type are much more likely to be damaged in any case. But it's not something I'd like to test!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:31:41 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

true. However, 's a funny hose, not a rubber type one, and I suspect that if not tight it'd leak air.

you can get PRVs for the manifold, which I might look into. The Ford (k-jet) has a backfire flappy thing like one of those one-way drain exits you see in rivers, but I doubt there's room to ft one of them to the LR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles