Courtesy Lights

I have just installed an led strip light above the rear door of my 1996 tdi

90 Defender CSW. Positive power is from a cable leading direct from the battery (with an in-line fuse) and the earth is connected to the "plunger switch" by the rear door

The light comes on as expected when the rear door is open. Unexpectedly it also comes on when the passenger door is opened (but not when the driver door is opened)

I cannot work out how it comes on with the passenger door as the earth wire is not connected to it (the light unit is "sticky taped" to the roof lining). If possible I would like the light to come on with the driver door as well

Advice please

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

You must have the rear door switch still connected to the front door switches - or at least, the left side one. The right door switch could be kna**ered, not earthing properly or disconnected from the point where where it would have connected with the other earthing switches.

Reply to
Dougal

Does the all the 'normal' courtesy lights come on when you open rear door? If the answer is yes then ALL of the door switches will have a contention to the non-supply side of these lights, so connecting your led light to that point will of course just put it in parallel with the existing lights, so it will come on when any of the doors are opened.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Does the all the 'normal' courtesy lights come on when you open rear door? If the answer is yes then ALL of the door switches will have a contention to the non-supply side of these lights, so connecting your led light to that point will of course just put it in parallel with the existing lights, so it will come on when any of the doors are opened.

Jeff

Somehow my case seems to fall between advice from Dougal and Jeff

When I open the drivers door, both the original lights come on as normal (and for that matter when I turn off the alarm/immobiliser) but the new light does not. When I open the rear door, and when I open the passenger door, the two original lights and the new one come on.

Puzzle puzzle!!

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Does the driver's door behave differently to the others, eg have a delay before it goes out? if so that door switch has another device between it and the common of the lamps.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Does the driver's door behave differently to the others, eg have a delay before it goes out? if so that door switch has another device between it and the common of the lamps.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff but the drivers door behaves the same as the others with a delay after it is closed Incidentally, I have to leave it open if I want to set the alarm/immobiliser but leave the interior sensors off (for example when I leave the dogs in the car). I then close and lock the door with the lights going off immediately. I wonder if this constitutes the other device

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

If it is *only* the driver's door that you can leave open in order to set the alarm, then yes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If it is *only* the driver's door that you can leave open in order to set the alarm, then yes.

Jeff

Looks like I have found my answer

Many thanks Jeff

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

In message , Julian Pollard writes

Standard alarm behaviour on Defenders. On mine (59) front and rear interior come on if either front door is opened.

Reply to
hugh