Cross drilled / Slotted disks

Thinking of upgrading to the brembo line

The price seemsreasonable. I currently have genuine rotors installed on a 89 Rangie. Any experience going with the upgraded disks? How fast does one go through brakes? Does one really stop faster?

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Just about to do this. Give David Round a call

- he has a range of stuff and also gives helpful advice at all hours of the day!

In a few weeks I should be able to give you more information about how good it is!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Have just looked at this. $250 for a pair of drilled discs is a bit pricey - David has just quoted me £90 for vented and £70 for solid disks, cross-drilled.

David also stocks kevlar pads and braided hoses, which I am fitting all round.

My project should tip the scales at about £300 including VAT and delivery (just waiting for the exact figure) plus whatever Warren wants for the pleasure of fitting!

I can then happily slap the big wheels and underbody protection gear on....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I have never seen cross-drilled disks up close before, are they like standard disks with holes drilled through?

Regards JJ

Reply to
JJ

Neither have I, but I think you are spot on!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Give or taker a bit they are just that, a std disc with holes in it! The awkward part is that these holes have to be in a pettern such as to ensure that each part of the pads is passed aby a whole the same number of times and the total face of the pads is covered to ensure even pad wear... this is coplicated further on vented discs where the holes drilled through cannot clash with the strengthening webs between the two sides of the discs ie. the vents

The easy pattern to use on a vented LR disc is to put 3 holes down the one vent and then 2 holes to fill in the gap in the next vent - works ok but looks naff! I am lucky enough to have a friend who spent many years working for one of the big names in racing brakes who has the knowledge ( and the equipment ) at hand to have made me a pattern of nice 'swooshing' sets of 5 holes that radius from the centre to the outside and look very pretty as well as meeting the technical criteria.... Email me and I will send you a picture of them if you like

If you are considering messing with your brakes then whilst the discs will improve things I would go for the stainless hoses first ( £11 each ) and different compound pads ( £50 ) first as these have the greatest impact for the money - ideally fit the whole lot in one go as a package...

Hope that helps a little

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

Yes, but look at the front discs of most sports/performance bikes to see how they are cross drilled (requires a special pattern).

Reply to
danny

If you fit SS braided hoses take my experience with a broken battery live feed as a salutory warning: The positive cable came lose and wrapped around the steering column and wore through. An awful lot of amps passed through all my Goodrich brake hoses, the throttle and the earth return from one of the rear lights. I spotted the throttle cable easily enough as sheath and cable were welded into one piece and the melted wire was also obvious. The melted lining to the brake hoses didn't manifest itself until my RR was having an MOT test several months later when one of the hoses burst!!!!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Handbrake cables also make excellant earth straps!

Whilst this is a possibility with steel braid hoses I think it is fair to say that it is not really strong enough argument against them to put up with the performance of rubber when stainless braid is available!! To follow that argument to its extreme would lead to a car made entirely of plastic so if a poorly maintained / faulty electrical part was to fail everything would be insulated!!!

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

How have they got round the problem of the stainless braid 'work hardening' and then breaking?

Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

I suppose I could come up with some bull about all sorts of different grades of stainless etc but to be honest I don't know! Having said that I was not aware of this being a problem anyway ( with the ones I sell )....

On each swaged union I fit a 'whip guard' to prevent breaking from constant back and forth bending.... these were developed partly for the German TUV test.

I have hoses on one of my LRs fitted in 1987 and still working fine and a friend has got some 11 year old ones that the locknut still undoes on so I am not sure that there is really a problem to defend against....

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4