D1 starting problems?

Hi all

I have a late 1996 built V8 discovery

The other day was very hot here (42 deg C) and I had to drive it into town (30 klms), ran fine and temp gauge stayed where it should even with aircon on full blast.

Got out to do a 10 minute job, and then it wouldnt start...no cranking, nothing.

First thought was the neutral interlock (its an auto) but wiggled the t-bar around a fair bit and no luck.

Luckily I was stranded outside the pub, so went inside to cool off for about

20 mins, phoned a mate to come and rescue me and decided to give it one last shot and it started normally first time and has not played up since (I must of started it 100 times since, Im worried it will let me down miles from anywhere)

Searched all the UK and Australian forums and found lots of info about dry solder joints in the "Spider" immobiliser causing identical problems.

According to all I found my disco should have the spider unit due to its year and the fact I have a 2 button key fob.

Ordered the genuine landrover "bypass" cable and then today decided to get it ready for when cable arrives and pull dash to bits, it doenst have the "spider" unit fitted. I can see the mounting lugs where it should be but there is no sign of it ever being there or any stray wiring looms for it.

Im getting really confused now and the intermittant nature is of real concern to me as most areas I travel have no mobile phone coverage if it decides not to start again.

Someone suggested to me it maybe the starter motor having worn brushes ? Im thinking of pulling it out and doing them just to be sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks Woz

Reply to
Wozza

The cause of similar symptoms on mine was the short cable from the battery to the underbonnet fusebox. This developed a break that would intermittently part, causing the total loss of all electrical power.

Other times I would get reduced power (dim panel lights etc) or whilst running a pronounced alternator whine.

Put in a new cable earlier in the week and so far no problems at all.

Of course, with an intermittent fault, I don't know how long to leave it before I can truly say that it is cured.

In the interim, I found that giving the cable a wiggle would get things going again!

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey