D1 V8i Cutting out

Starting to get worse, driving along and it just dies on me, won't re-start for a few mins. It's been suggested that the alarm spider could be the cause but I don't think this one has an alarm (no interior sensors, no dash LED, no underbonnet siren) so any obvious things I should check? All leads from coil to dizzy cap are sound, coil, plugs, leads are all fairly new.

Reply to
Andy

"Andy" wrote.

Two things come to mind from past problems, if you have the old coil replace it and see if that cures the fault, I have experienced a faulty new coil myself. Is it earthed properly through the mounting? Secondly try a new condenser, I've had strange happenings with those (many years ago).

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I don't have the old parts as they were replaced before I bought it in October. Might try new ones again though, I know it's earthed properly as I removed and refitted it when I fitted the waterproofing kit. Not sure where the condenser is though as it's not by the coil, will have a poke around in the morning.

Reply to
Andy

Nip round? you got my new mobile number?

Reply to
Nige

Cheers, I'll give you a bell mid-morning

Reply to
Andy

I have twice had identical problems due to the ignition amplifier on the side of the distributor failing.

It would stop working when it got hot and work again for a while once it cooled down. Checking spark while heating it with hot air gun will confirm diagnosis.

Reply to
Martin Beenham

You got my new number?

Reply to
Nige

Odd thing is it usually only does it once on any journey, once re-started it is fine and doesn't play up again for a day or so.

Will try new amplifier & coil perhaps.

Reply to
Andy

Very good Oily!!!

Pulled all dash out, no immobiliser fitted so it's not that. Bridged the inertia switch, still no go (no 12v feed to inertia switch either), if I run the fuel pump off the temporary wire there is a feed back to inertia switch so fault is somewhere between ignition and inertia switch I think. I will probably just run a new switched feed to it.

Reply to
Andy

If you have the over-run shutoff relay on the LH suspension tower check it for function and good connections. I've seen several where the wires to the relay socket have corroded/broken.

Reply to
Dougal

Pulled all dash out, no immobiliser fitted so it's not that. Bridged the inertia switch, still no go (no 12v feed to inertia switch either), if I run the fuel pump off the temporary wire there is a feed back to inertia switch so fault is somewhere between ignition and inertia switch I think. I will probably just run a new switched feed to it,

.....will that cause any issues??

Reply to
Andy

I think there is, easy jetwashed to death too.

Reply to
Nige

"Andy" wrote..........

Isn't there a fuse feeding power to a relay on the n/side inner wing? BICBW

Reply to
Oily