D2 Air Suspension won't raise

As in title I tried to raise the air suspension today and the amber light just flashes merrily away on the dash but the car does not rise, all doors are closed etc. so am a bit baffled.

It's always worked fine before now although I have noticed the rear end seemed a tad low but thought it was just my imagination as it was negligible. Any clues as to where I should start looking, assume maybe a compressor problem?

Andy

< 1999 D2 TD5 GS Auto > < 1996 D1 300tdi >
Reply to
Andy Cooke

Engine running? Though the flashing light would indicate that the relevant computer is happy and that it's telling the compressor to pump.

The compressor is in a box on the outside of the chassis just past half way back on the near side. If you listen carefully inside the car you might be able to hear in running, low rapid pulsing sound. Outside near the box you should have no troubles hearing it. If you don't have an assistant to press the button with the doors closed and engine running, open a window and lean in to do it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is there a low bit on the pipework between the compressor and the suspension on those?

If so, it may be full of ice in this weather,if the car's kept outside.

Reply to
John Williamson

When mine failed on my 2001 D2, water had got into the pump and rusted one of the springs that hold the brushes on the motor armature. So if you need a spare I have a complete unit less one spring!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There is a dryer on the output of the compressor and a filter on the intake. The intake is high up behind the nearside light cluster. So, in theory, there shouldn't be any water (condensation) in the lines.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When mine failed on my 2001 D2, water had got into the pump and rusted one of the springs that hold the brushes on the motor armature. So if you need a spare I have a complete unit less one spring!

AWEM

Well strangely it is now all working again, possibly it was to do with something being frozen up when I tried early this morning?

Andy

< 1999 D2 TD5 GS Auto > < 1996 D1 300tdi >
Reply to
Andy Cooke

That's what the fitters told me last time the brakes froze on the coach I was driving. It thawed out nicely later on. It's also what the driver of the lorry told me when I had to extract large amounts of ice from his brake lines many years ago. He also swore blind he'd drained the air tanks that morning..... The alcohol bottle (The alcohol was sucked in as a mist and acted as anti-freeze) was also empty. Boy, am I glad I don't do that job any more.

Still, I'm glad it's working now.

Reply to
John Williamson

On or around Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:10:34 -0000, "Andy Cooke" enlightened us thusly:

chances are it's a height sensor on the way out. had that a few times with mine, which now has steel springs as I got bored with mending it. If used on loose-surfaced tracks a lot, they go through airbags at too high a rate, and although they're an easy swap, they still cost 60 quid or so a time.

the final straw was a 3rd height sensor failure though (or could have been the height sensor wiring - it was giving erratic readings)

You should be able to hear the compressor, if you listen outside the motor on the passenger side when it's pumping.

Reply to
Austin Shackles