D90 and Discovery S1 brake caliper compatibility

People Hi,

a good friend and fellow LR club of Greece member has managed to snap the front right (driver's side UK) brake caliper from its mounting bracket (the bolts remained in place on the front axle along with the "ears" of the brackets)

Since welding the caliper's broken brackets/"ears" is out of the question due to safety we are considering using a front brake caliper from a Discovery S1 or Range Rover Classic (non vented type).

I know that Discos and RaRo Classics had a twin brake hose setup but does anyone know if blocking one of the two brake hose holes will make it compatible to the single brake system on Defenders?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

The Ra Ro Classic caliper will not be compatible as it has two separate systems but the Disco 1 is the same and interchangeable as all pistons are interconnected from the one supply pipe. Some 90s though have bigger calipers in which case you couldn't use either of the above unless fitted in pairs and someone also may have retro fitted them but they are physically bigger and easy to see the difference so do check. I suppose in emergency you could use a R/R caliper if you fed both systems with a T junction on the caliper but only as a very temporary measure.

HTH Martin.

Reply to
Oily

You'd also need to check the bolt centres for fitting to the axle, they vary, as do the sizes of the bolts.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard and Martin thanks for the swift replies.

I guess it will be best to try and find a D90 caliper and be on the safest side.

Take care and thanks again Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:13:49 +0100, "Oily" scribbled the following nonsense:

both my disco ones have the twin front pipe set up as per the range rover.

According to Paddocks, both use the same part number for Disco and RR, which seems to confirm this.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs