DAMP STARTING

Hi All, Hope all are fighting fit after the Xmas and not being stug too much by the crdit crunch. Advise please,

94 300tdi auto disco 250Kmiles When the weather is very WET the car can be a bit of a pig to start . however when its "normal" or COLD/VERY COLD it starts "on the button". small puff of grey smoke when starting otherwise totaly clear Plenty of go at low speed but once I get over about 2500/2800 rpm I seem to loos go , especialy if its pulling up an incline. Have done a stall test on the box and that holds OK no slip changed all filters and the turbo hoses are not colapsing. On ONE occasion only when the temp was at -8 I could not get the car to rev above 1200 and that caused loads of white smoke (thought I had blown the lump) but thinking back had have been using veg oil during the summer and the tank was very low so I'm thinking this was the problem then Since that occurence its had 30 or so neat diesel fill ups so any veg is gone

Im think this one may have been fiddled with (fuel injector pump) as it will free rev to 5K

So what is with the wet starting and power lose at 2500/2800 ???

Regards

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Did you change the fuel filter after the veg?

Reply to
GbH

I had a similar issue where my 300 tdi wouldn't rev very high after my tank had gotten very low, near enough empty. I was using a mixture of veg, dino or bio diesel too. It appeared that crap had been sucked into the line when it was low and settled in the sedimenter. Obviously i replaced the fuel filters , but also removed the sedimentor and blew air down from the engine side and the tank side . the blockage was then blown out of where the sedimentor was. Everything was screwed back in place and it ran like a dream.

Reply to
Chappers

Thanks guys for the help, sorry for the delay in the thanks but I have been called away on short notice.... bloody job(at least I got one) Now I have another problem a "ticking" like a tappet or injector from the injector pump area, I wonder if this is cotributing to the damp start problem , I hope I don't need a new pump...mighht as well buy a nother car.

JOHN

Reply to
Long tall ugly