Damper steering assembly

Hello All. My Damper Steering Assembly just started leaking.

  1. What will happen if I ignore it.
  2. What effect does it have on roads like manchester.
  3. What should I aware of beside the leaking.
  4. How easy it to replace by myself.
Reply to
John Oakes

Since it's trivially easy to replace, the answers to 1, 2 and 3 are irrelevant.

Otherwise, buy a new damper, it should come with a load of rubber bushes and dished washers.

Undo the nut at each end of the old assembly, and remove it taking note of the order and orientation of the bushes etc.

Put the new one on.

You might need something to stop the damper rotating while undoing the nuts at each end. Almost anything like a Stilson, pipe wrench of even sortts of oil filter wrenches will do.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

Thanks for the advice, only on snag I do not have a replacement as it just gone this afternoon. Would this still be road worthy with leaking until I get a new one.

Reply to
John Oakes

It would help to know what vehicle, but basically:

  1. It will get worse. Eventually, dangerously so. This will probably happen quite slowly.
  2. The steering damper helps to keep things in a straight line when you hit ruts, holes etc., and helps to stop the whole plot vibrating at higher speeds. If your roads are potholed, or you drive at more than 30mph, then you need one.
  3. As it gets worse, look out for violent kicking at low speeds if you hit a kerb or a pothole, and shimmying and shaking at higher speeds.
  4. Very. Buy one, take off the old one (2 bolts, one at each end), prime the new one (pump it in and out a few times, and when you see how hard it is to do this you will realise that it's actually doing a serious job), bolt it in.

If it's leaking, it's already failed and will get worse. They don't get better on their own. When I had one fail on a 90, I tried driving it for a while without. Got about 100 yards before I turned back. Not recommended.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Yes, just don't wait too long! ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what's gone wrong with it internally.

If you _have_ to drive it, I'd take it off altogether. The steering will probably feel very 'lively' and I wouldn't want to take it far or fast, but this seems to be safer than leaving it on and having it seize up. Not likely perhaps, but the consequences could be unfortunate.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

Thanks to everyone. I feel my safest option is to await for the new one.

Reply to
John Oakes

On or around Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:17:56 +0100, John Oakes enlightened us thusly:

wot they said. Mind, I had one on the 110 which did absolutely sod-all, and it was only a problem when you hit a bump.

much better when replaced. Paddocks/Craddocks do 'em for about 12 quid or something, and since it's an easy replacement, just change it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If the rest of your steering is in good condition, you don't actually need a damper, so you could just consider removing it. Take it steady for a bit though in case you find out there is some wear elsewhere in the system.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Agreed, although it's unlikely to sieze if it's just started leaking. The only ones I have had siezed (shockers, not steering dampers) have been when the oil leaked out months ago and water has got in and rusted the innards. I would say proceed with care and replace at the first opportunity.

Reply to
Richard Brookman