defender door locked, how to open

I drive a Defender model 2001, and now my door is locked which I cannot open... Anyone with an idea to open the door? Thanks Fred

Reply to
Fred Huge

You could try unscrewing the door hinges from the bulkhead and lifting it off that way. You'll then have free access to remove the door trim and find out what has gone wrong.

If it's your driver's door, this is probably a good opportunity to replace the hinges if they are a bit worn.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege

Not so sure this is a good idea if it has antiburst locks...

Can access be gained by another door.... what body is on the defender?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Its a Defender 130 crew cab and yes I can get in using the passenger door

"Lee_D" schreef in bericht news:p6AMb.1955$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net...

Reply to
Fred Huge

Short of brut force having gentley tried I don't know.

I would have suggested in desperation removal of the hindges along with the unbolting of the lock mechanisim but the check strap would keep the door fastened to the bulkhead and I'm not convinced it would be that simple to remove.

remove the seats and hit it with an angle grinder.... But I bet it's got some door trim in the way to put the spanner in the works.

Good luck.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

"Fred Huge" wrote in news:4002c161$0$73296$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl:

Can't these locks be drilled out? You'd have to buy another lock but it would get the door open. Someone can surely tell you where to drill but I think it would be at the junction between the key slot and the circle that revolves -- if you see what I mean. Probably a 1/8th would do it.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Hi,

I had the same problem when I took the lock mechanism apart on the passenger door. It is possible to open it though, although it took me quite a time fiddling around. You will need a reasonably long, thin flat headed screwdriver. Try this on the door that is not stuck first, so you can see how the mechanism works. You need to lie across the seats, and gently push the screwdriver into the small opening at the side of the door panel, where the door lock fits into the latch part of the door frame. You need to try and get the blade of the screwdriver under the latch part, (look on the non-stuck door for reference, and then gently push the latch up It will take some fiddling to get it right. While you are doing this push the door a little, so when the latch lifts, the door will open. The door has latch with two stages, so you will need to do the same thing again to completely open the door.

You will have to take off the door panel (which is a pig to do, and I would start by trying to prise off the surround off the plastic pop up button.

Once off, you can slam and open the door to your hearts content (and the neighbours annoyance). You may need to adjust the wire inside, the clips are very fiddly and it is difficult to screw the wire hooks up and down, but once the doors are working perfectly, it will seem to have been worth the trouble.

Leave the panel off for a couple of days, as there is nothing more annoying than thinking you have fixed it, re-fitting the panel and then finding that the bloody thing has stuck again.

Good luck,

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux