Defender engine problem

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on an odd problem with my daughters' diesel G-reg Defender 90. Setting off from home for the London-Brighton on Saturday the engine suddenly and for only a few seconds revved very hard and very rattly with only light if any pressure on the accelerator (clutch down) and the car disappeared in clouds of white smoke - not blue and not a strong smell of oil or anything. We decided to limp the short distance home with embarrassingly large clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust but over the mile home it gradually got less until all seemed normal. We decided to give it a try and it did the 50 mile journey to Crystal Palace without further incident as well as the run down to Brighton. Then in a queue leaving Brighton in the afternoon it did the same again much to the amusement of the other Landies around us. With the experience of the day before we decided to carry on for a while and sure enough, having smoked our way heavily through Brighton it cleared up and we did the 120 mile road and motorway run home without incident. Oil level and pressure is fine as is coolant. I'm trying to think what would cause the engine to suddenly rev so hard and what is causing the smoke and where is it coming from?

Any answers, hints or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Tony Raven

i had this in my old 90 - it happened twice.

First time the pedal got cought on the footwell mats, and was full throttle for a sec.

Second time, the return spring on the accelerator was covered in s**te and was not springy.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Its not starting to drink its own oil is it? But why only a little at a time? I guess its a old 2.5TD. otherwise no idea..

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

In message , Tony Raven writes

Does the fuel filler cap hiss ? Is there obvious pressure inside the tank ?

The diaphragm on the top of the injection pump can split causing the turbo to pressurise the fuel system causing those symptoms .

Reply to
Marc Draper

Not in my experience.

A pressurised fuel tank causes the speed to limit to about 55mph, but no other symptoms when my diaphragm went.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I agree, sounds like the diaphragm to me. I had the same with my 1990

90 TD. Despite it spending days in the LR dealership they couldn't find the problem. It was sometimes happening three times a day, and then say once a month. I found it could be controlled a bit by leaving clutch engaged (assuming a clear road ahead) to suppress the hard revving of the engine. I think it cost me about 50 quid to have it done. It was well worth it after a year of trying to find out what the hell was going on.

Jase

Reply to
Jase

Its not the footwell mat (what mat? ;-) ) but thanks for all the suggestions about the diaphragm. I will supervise them having a look when we next get a chance in a couple of weekends time. Good to know its not an unknown problem.

Daughters were well chuffed we made it - its their Landy and they are still learning to drive so did the L2B with L plates, switching drivers at Pease Pottage. Having suffered dire disappointment when we first turned back home they were ecstatic to find themselves at the front and leading out the non-club participants from Crystal Palace.

Mind you its a Landy to make grown men cry as its decked out in girlie Hello Kitty pink seat covers and adornments. I told them the smoke was the Landy protesting at having to appear like that in front of all the others ;-)

Reply to
Tony Raven

Tony, you said white smoke. I think that's likely to be an excess of fuel or fuel not burning for some reason. Could it be a sticky injector? I'd chuck a couple of bottles of injector cleaner in first, it's cheap enough and will do no harm. It could be the diesel pump, I had a Rangie with a Perkins engine that did that and the pump needed replacing. That was expensive so consider that a last resort.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Marc Draper uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Marc,

Did you get my reply, interested :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hmm

My Fostered Son was Driving my G Reg Disco & the Same thing Happened it was the Head Gasket Blown between the Push Rod's Allowing It the Drink its own Oil Making it rev like Gorndon Brown at the Pumps

Regards Skinty

Reply to
skinty

Rubbish. The lower side of the diaphragm is vented, if it was to split, the pressure would simply pass the diaphragm and vent out to atmosphere, causing a loss of power. It certainly wouldn't cause the engine to over rev.

Reply to
SimonJ

I just read that to my 13 year old son - I'm fairly certain it brought tears to his eyes. But it brought a giggle of approval from the resident lady.

Reply to
EMB

Simon I beg to differ !!!

ON the Lucas CAV pump fitted to the 2.5 TD engine the Diaphragm has no vent.

I have seen this first hand on 2 vehicles fitted with the 2.5 TD engine. The first time the fault took some finding!!!!

It is not the only reason for the symptoms but it is one possible cause.

The bosch pump fitted to the Tdi does indeed have a vent on the other side of the Diaphragm.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I had a similar problem in my first SIII diesel, an injector spring had fractured, for some reason most of the time it was fine but every so often the engine would run away, making an unholy racket, and blow smoke all over the road.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

I had ruled that out early on as it is not drinking oil (or water) and apart from a mile or two of post revving smoking, the exhaust runs clear. I would expect a blown head gasket to provide a more continuous stream of bluer and smellier smoke until the oil ran out.

Reply to
Tony Raven

Lots of useful hints to check on. Any other suggestions very welcome. The common feature seems to be an injector problem and too much fuel so we'll have a good furkle around that area for the cause.

Reply to
Tony Raven