Defender hand brake - the top end this time

I've owned most Land Rovers, starting with a series 1. When on the move the hand brake lever lay obligingly out of the way near the floor. I was young and slim so it was no problem to reach down. As I grew older the clever designers anticipated this and perked up the lever on successive models. Now I have arrived at the TD5 and find that the lever is not only up, but moving over to invade my personal space, mostly due to a change in the gearbox tunnel. Certainly worse than my out going 110 turbo.

Has anyone thought about relocating the lever? I have a friend with a left hand drive TD5 where the problem is not so apparent. I suppose a lhd lever could be fitted (the stretch would be good exercise) and passengers would have to put up with it. I even wondered about cutting down the width of the central cubby box and mounting a lever alongside the seat. However there might be Construction & Use implications. Comments welcome.

Nick

Reply to
NW

Can't say the position of the handbrake on the series 3 is exactly convenient compared to the average salloon car.

Thing is with age the angle of the lever tends to droop :)

Reply to
Larry