Defender head-lights.

Any lighting gurus out there?

I'm not impressed with the head-lights on my L reg 90, these dark nights the light seems to come out of the lamp, trickle across the front bumper and fall on the road about five yards in front. This is even after the mud has been washed off them.

Read a wee article in LROI workshop answers about upgrading the bulbs from

40/45w to 60/65w which seemed like a good way to go, until I looked under the bonnet....

..I've got sealed beam units. There's no indication that I can see on them as to what their wattage is. How easy is it change back to normal bowls and bulbs? Is this likely to be an improvement (any guesses what wattage the sbu's are likely to be?)? Cost? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
McBad

Seal beams were standard at that time.

RTC4615K Halogen Conversion Kit - RHD - Pair £22.32 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Ditch the sealed beams, fit good quality halogen replacement light units, around £28 a set. DO NOT fit higher wattage bulbs to them, you WILL burn out the main lighting switch, normally half way round a blind bend in the dark! Fit Phillips vision-plus bulbs, 50% greater light output than std halogens for the same wattage, excellent bulbs, came top in various reviews. As for replacements, genuine Lucas are good, Ring are ok, last set of Wipac I fitted were crap, now running Cibe Iode units, they're as good as the Lucas ones. Remember it's not just the bulbs, but the reflector design and quality that plays a big part. Stay clear of the "crystal" units, you may have MOT issues due to no "E" marking and no distinctive dip pattern. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

and stick some osram silver star bulbs in 'em. lovely.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Thanks all for responding so quickly. This is a superb newsgroup for getting useful information fast.

Cheers,

McBad

I have to agree, easily the best NG i know of! Mainly thanks to the top blokes who frequent it!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

I found that the switch from sealed beams to standard wattage halogens was enough of an improvement and i didnt need to fit any more powerful bulbs!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think you are right about quality. My last LR had a Lucas H4 headlight upgrade and I was slightly disappointed to find that there were Wipac H4 lights on my latest one (Wipac being by tradition a "cheaper" make). I thought it would probably not make much difference , but in fact dipped beam is very poor, although main beam is ok. I too will be looking to change the lenses soon.

Nick

Reply to
NW

...and beamendsltd spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Best 20-odd quid you could spend. Easy to swap, and the improvement is amazing.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I got some "Ring" halogen lights, they are a bit poo (made in India) but they were really cheep (got another set for spair). Fitted some 60% brighter Ring xenon bulbs and now the light output is excellent.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

Is it true that Mr Beam Ends has offered to do the RTC4615K Halogen Conversion Kit - RHD - Pair £22.32 inc VAT to also include postage? If so, I'll have a pair! Now that's what you call true LR altruism! Peter

Reply to
Peter

An order has been placed... I'll report upon what difference it makes in due course. It should please the wife because at the moment she's having to walk in front with a torch. It's pissing her off a bit with all this rain we're having.

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
McBad

On or around Sat, 5 Nov 2005 14:22:16 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

are they the genuine LR ones or the Wipac conversions? Not that the Wipac ones have anything wrong with 'em, AFAIIK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

£3.00 post to the uk, but otherwise yes!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

They are both Wipac - as to whether the Genuine ones are made to a different sepc. I couldn't comment on.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

What does the conversion kit consist of?

Reply to
Peter

2 x Halogen light units 2 x Rubber bulb covers 2 x bulbs 60/65W

Which ia all you need.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In article , beamendsltd writes

Count me in for some too, but it's not *quite* all you need...

... check the cable connectors are clean and shiny-bright, and that the wires to the lamps are in good nick, otherwise the extra power will still go in warming up the joints and the wires!

Thick copper = bright lights...

... or 90-day detention periods, if you're a Commissioner.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

...and SpamTrapSeeSig spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and beamendsltd spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

If you still have my CC details, could you put some in the post for me too, Richard? Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman