Defender Spare Wheel carrier

My rear door catch is beginning to signs of the stress of carrying the spare on the rear door and I'm thinking o fitting a spare wheel carrier on my 98 Defender. There are some listed in the Product Review section of this months LRO. Anyone any experience of these or any others they can recommend. The Scorpion RWC-Hl provides for carrying a Hi-Lift, but it looks as if it obscures the rear fog.

Reply to
hugh

Indeed. I fiited one yesterday, and when the hi-lift is attached it obscures the reversing light. Here, reverse is on the right had side of the car, fog is left. So I would venture it's actually illegal to drive with the hi-lift attached in your neck of the woods.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

I've got the Bearmach one on my Defender. Got it from Paddocks earlier in the year when they had them on offer.

I found it a bit fiddly to fit, but that may just be me. I was very nervous about drilling holes in the bodywork and rear door! Where it mounts to the rear door caused me a headache as the carrier lifted slightly when open relative to the door. I got round this by making the holes in the door much larger than they needed to be and using some rubber hose for a bush, this allows for the lifting of the carrier.

It's a very sturdy piece of kit that seems well made. In the LRO article they don't mention that it *does* have grease nipples on all moving parts despite saying its a very important feature. Mine does have them and you can just make them out in the pictures in LRO.

HTH

Reply to
Simon Barr

I fitted the Bearmach one, which was cheaper than the one from mantec, and worked fine.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

we have a mantec one. good but expensive

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for that Peter - and also every one else who has responded.

Reply to
hugh

I fitted the Mantec one after much consideration of the others available. It was simple to fit, requiring no extra holes drilling anywhere, just one needing enlarging as I recall. Mine too had a tendency to lift as the door was swung open. But with the Mantec one that can be adjusted for by adding or subtracting the spacer plates on the cross-member end mounting, until the door and carrier remain in perfect alignment throughout the arc of travel. Plus it's maintenance free, having nylon bushes and door attachment piston.

It costs more than others, but I personally believe it's worth the extra.

HTH

Neil

Neil