Defender TD5 handbrake adjustment.

OK guys - can anyone clue me in on where I adjust the handbrake on a TD5 Defender? Feeling round the drum backplate I was kinda expecting to find a nice little square adjuster-head to tweak, but from this morning's explorations I find.. nothing!

Reply to
Tanuki

On or around Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:13:57 +0000, Tanuki enlightened us thusly:

I expect you have to undo a rubber bung and poke a screwdriver into it and waggle it about.

that's what the earlier 110s had.

Best accessed from underneath. I recall doing this at eastnor on the 6x6

101+, although I suspect that had oiled shoes as well.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

In , Austin Shackles said

Will feel for a rubber bung tomorrow when it's light!

Reply to
Tanuki

In message , Tanuki writes

It will be a 6 sided adjuster at the bottom of the back plate (ie: a bolt head)

You can't miss it.

Reply to
Marc Draper

In , Marc Draper said

Ah! That I found, but thought it was one of the bolts holding the innards of the brake assembly to the backplate. I was looking for a *square* adjuster.

Willo twiddle tomorrow!

Reply to
Tanuki

In , Tanuki said

Update: have twiddled and now have a handbrake which will happily hold 2.5 tons of trailer on a pretty steep ramp. I also put a good gobbet of grease on the bolt-head as it showed more than a few signs of localised rust and I have bad memories of trying to free off rusted brake-adjusters on neglected Minis....

Reply to
Tanuki