Defender TDi engine upgrade. 2.8 Powerstroke.

In South Africa we have this engine upgrade available. They install this engine, which is a upgraded and 300TDi engine.

The specifications: Power: 99kW Torque: 375Nm

See

Have aynone used this engine? Will it kill the R380 gearbox?

Reply to
Hans

On or around Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:30:37 +0200, "Hans" enlightened us thusly:

no, it'll kill yer wallet.

the R380 should handle it, provided you're sensible, I reckon. If you use the extra power to tow 6 tons, then no.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

More low down torque than a Td5 but overall very similar performance with much less electronics. R380 should handle it without sweat but like all R380's, needs right oil inside and no snap shifts.

If you are replacing due to high mileage ...... the box is most likely past it's prime and Autobox in Pretoria can supply or rebuilt an as new R380. Do the LT230 while you are at it and fit Disco ratio's (1.22) as opposed to

1.44 std.....unless you plan to tow a mountain, then stay with 1.44.

Go to

and join the ZA LRO list ....

(BTW, I know Brian Cotton and his work is excellent)

Reply to
Aubrey

Maybe where you are but Africa is not some small continent or islands and distances are vast. Dropping revs by 200 in each gear has little impact on power but huge savings on fuel and wear. Had a GKN overdrive that failed and locked in neutral. Worst possible position in the middle of the desert ...rule of thumb ...simple is best.

Reply to
Aubrey

I can´t see the point in changing the ratio of the transfer box as the whole vehicle will be much too fast in alle gears for the purposed underground where a Defender will earn its living. I have been thinking about fitting an overdrive to my TD5 but never would have lost the small gearing in first and second (although in my opinion its already a little bit on the high side)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

I would appreciate living in Africa and so I go there to drive in the Sahara every year and also there I like every little lb-ft I can have ;-)

Use a mechanical Rocky mountain which cannot get stuck, I am thinking about using one of those.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

How much? URL?

Reply to
Aubrey

There are adverts in the different Landy-Comics but they will tell you were you will get them:

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner