Defender Window Mechanicsm's.....

I have a problem with my front passenger doorr window (1992 90).

It will wind down just enough to get my fingers outside. If I push down at the point where the glass bevels downwards and keep winding the windows will go down. Once it gets about 80% of the way down everything is "normal".

Likewise on the way up, first bit is fine middle bit upto about an inch from the op the window needs to be lifted as well as wound, last bit is fine.

I took the door card off and inner skin yesterday to have a look. Greased all the balls, slides and pivot mechanism. There is no siffness in the winder mechanism itself.

Any ideas? Could something somewhere be bent? It all looks straight (appart from the obvious manufacturing bends / folds).

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

It sounds like a couple of teeth on the regulator have worn off/broken, not uncommon.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard, Thanks for the thought. Im not sure its broken teeth though. If I dont assist the mechanism down then there is a LOT of pressure needed on the handle (to the point where I think it would break if I carried on winding). Wouldnt broken teeth show up as the winder winding but nothing happening at the glass?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Not necesserily - but without looking it's not realy possibel to be sure.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:21:22 +0000 (UTC), Jon enlightened us thusly:

On some things, the channels which the glass slides in can be out of place and result in the glass being crooked and snaggy. dunno if this can happen on a defender, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin, I'll have a look at this possibility. From memory though the rubber sliders just flop about in the door skin and stop the glass rattling against the frames!

Reply to
Jon

What is happening is that the glass, on the way down, is moving or trying to move "outside" of the channel of felt/rubber which sits in a metal sleeve below the glass height (i.e. the lower part of the door), or it gets progressively stiffer until it either slides back in or is out of the channel completely in which case it gets easier and winds down the rest of the way. Take the door panel off on the inside and glue the felt/rubber channel back into the metal sleeve runner and all should be well.

Reply to
David J. Button

Many Thanks for the info...A job for Saturday...If she doesnt want to drag me out for last minite Chrimbo shopping!!

J>What is happening is that the glass, on the way down, is moving or trying to

Reply to
Jon

Reply to
icky