Defender Windscreen Removal

Evenin' All

How do you remove the windscreen glass on a 1990 90?

Ive tried to pull the rubber off, but it aint shifting!

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Hiya Mark,

This sounds brutal but it will work. I would use a fine scalpel around the screen to make sure no resin etc, then pull off the rubber. Then have a lovely assistant on the outside ready to catch the glass. Then position yourself on your back inside the 90 and push with your feet. Make sure with both feet on opposite ends of the glass to equal out the force.

It should pop out and be caught by your assistant.

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Why are you removing it?

I thought you broke the screen when you rolled it If you are just removing the remains then use a hammer!

If youre getting a donor screen out and want it intact, you could always just take the whole surround too like on a series and save some hassle!

I've removed car screens and it generally just a case of getting an assistant to push from the inside while you run round the outside on the edge of the rubber seal with little screwdrivers and it will eventually pop out. The seals usually have a centre section on the outside which you need to pull out first.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've bought a whole surround, with windscreen intact. Its just the wrong colour!

I was going to remove the screen, get the surround sprayed - Hence the removal of the windscreen.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

why remove the glass at all ? any auto paint shop woth its salt should be able to mask the gasket and the glass - clean and sans the frame and paint it and bake the paint with the glass and gasket in place . a lot less work and no danger of cuts and broken glass

Reply to
ross grant