Diagnostics

Bit quiet in here, isn't it?

After a fatal problem with my Disco 1, I was persuaded to invest in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. At least I now know that they don't have a 4WD that matches what I want and that the mixture of German and US technology leaves a bit to be desired.

I have also become a little more knowledgeable on the subject of vehicle diagnostics. I may not be expert, but I can do better on the Jeep than anyone round here, including the nearest main agent.

Can anyone give me advice on the diagnostics situation on Disco's and Range Rovers ie what years are the diesel ones compliant with the standard engine codes etc.? I don't think my 1997 Disco complied with anything much.

I'm probably going to have to replace the Jeep with an older LR product, and it would be useful to be able to plug in my trusty bluetooth device and see any engine and other error codes.

Reply to
Bill

Legislated OBD standards came in in the early noughties for European markets - 2001 for petrol, 2004 for diesel.

But, even then, they're really only a bare minimum of mainly emission- related codes, and to get anything _useful_ you want manufacturer- specific diagnostics.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

That's why I asked. You see, the Cherokee is a 54-reg diesel, and it doesn't follow ODB2 standards, and I believe there are some produced in early 2005 that have the same engines and control units.

Is it therefore correct to assume that all diesel Disco 2's are ODB2 compliant, as I've read, or are the early ones something else? Similarly, is there any specific time when the Range Rovers became compliant?

With the Jeep, I'd got as far as sending serial AT codes to the bluetooth car unit and getting answers from the ecu when I discovered that an Estonian had written some free diagnostic software that worked and reported the faults I have, such as a swirl actuator problem.

His software has gone beyond the engine codes to also read gearbox codes, but not any bodywork, abs etc. Does any free software like this for the LR vehicles exist?

Reply to
Bill

In article , Bill writes

What year is your Jeep? I had 4 litre straight 6. Took it off road many times and enjoyed yanking RR and Discos out of the mud with kinetic recovery rope. What do you not liej about the 4wd system?

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

2004, 54reg. It ought to be good, with a galvanised body, but it has a leaking injector that you have to either cut holes in the bodywork to get to or drop the engine, and swirl valve problems, plus a gearbox solenoid problem. I've just yesterday found a mechanic (I'm too old and past it) that seemed to know what he was talking about, and he hopes to be able to start in a fortnight, so I've put the Disco I found yesterday (too) on hold.

The Jeep has the Merc engine and gearbox, and the only low ratio locks the transmission. In the old Disco, I always used to use low ratio to juggle trailers and boats into position on rough ground and/or tarmac. The fishing boats were heavy, our boat is about 3.5 tons on trailer and I need to jiggle it into a piece of rough ground at son's house, where the tractor vehicle is on and off tarmac doing something related to an Austin Powers n-squared point turn. I never worried that the Disco's transmission would wind up and go bang.

I also seem to be reading that some models of Jeep are having to have towbars removed in a recall. Ironic that they fitted towbars in a factory recall to protect the behind the back axle fuel tank.

The place selling the Disco already had 2 broken Grand Cherokees, so were not keen to offer much in the way of a trade-in.

Reply to
Bill