Did I speak too soon?

It's started, gremlins creeping in on my new 110 already :-(

Started with finding a misaligned roof and rear door which the dealer agreed needed rectification, not great but no big deal I thought. Then they said it would need a new roof to sort which I am not too happy about as I have some concerns over the finish quality.

Then a loud vibrating noise has developed which sounds like an exhaust knocking against the chassis when the engine is under load, also hearing an odd rattle from the gearbox when slowing to rest and depressing clutch, sounds like some gears are just catching and not fully disengaged.

So it's off back to the dealer to be repaired after 1 week of ownership, starting to suffer from major Déjà-Vu and hoping for a quick and straightforward rectification this time!!

Reply to
Andy

Jesus

Reply to
Nige

He has a Dealership? AWESOME!

Andy.. I'm guessing you've clunked it up and down on Hi ratio to low and back? The gears almost engadged sounds like you get when the transfer box ins't quite in.

All very worrying, but thats new cars for you and why the dealers make a mint out of Landrover with all the parts and labour on warantee work.

I'd be tempted to stick with it if they sort it. The 110's gearbox was cunchy to get in to 2nd when it was first replaced. It's settled down nicely now and drops through the gears just fine. Put it down to newness.

Alternative is don't buy new, buy a couple of years old.. let someone else have the headaches and the depreciation hit then make the most of a sorted motor.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

;)

Reply to
Nige

Definitely sticking with it, it's a great motor.

Will give them fair chance to sort it.

Reply to
Andy

On or around Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:06:58 +0100, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

Yer know what, mate, it's confirmed my thought that if I chance on enough money to buy a new 'un, it'll be a top of the range Santana. Specially if I can get the uprated engine in it... which should be fairly trivial - the Iveco motors come in various tune-states, so it's either talk nicely to the factory or get it done as an aftermarket ECU-swap or something.

Although the one they fit as standard is not that sluggardly. There are many advantages, AFAICS - selectable 4WD, much better body with wider load space and no seat box and so on, better engine (I reckon).

OK, it's on leaves, but parabolics make quite a reasonable ride in my SIII...

Mebbe that's yer answer, reject the LR as unsuitable, buy the Santana and go on holiday with the change :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:20:59 +0100, Austin Shackles wrote this gibberish:

thats on my shopping list too :-)

Reply to
MarkVarley - MVP

I am just p*ssed off TBH, why on earth can't LR get the Defender production up to scratch? I thought I had been unlucky with the first one that ended up being rejected. More fool me for thinking it would be Ok this time. Most of the issues are coming up again, shoddy build quality, iffy mechanicals etc etc.

I don't have the time or inclination for repeated trips back to the dealers arguing the toss over what is unacceptable and what is just 'that Defender thing'. The thing has the potential to be great, great interior with comfy seats at last, a cracking engine/gearbox combo, timeless looks. All they have to do is build the damn thing with a bit of care and attention. It is littered with swarf, odds and ends of screws and washers and general signs of a bodge job. Totally unacceptable for a £28k motor.

The dealer gets 1 chance to sort it or it goes back and will probably be my last LR for a while if that happens.

Reply to
Andy

I dont blame you, but they are hand built by monkeys, not robot built.

Reply to
Nige

In message , Nige writes

Maybe they'll be better when they are built in India.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:44:44 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

bummer, innit.

The only Santana I've seen looked OK, but I don't know how much had been done to it post-build, of course.

Certainly worth a look. It's a pity they stopped doing their FC one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wouldn't be hard would it ;)

Reply to