diesel conversion

Hello

Does anyone have any ideas on a older range rover diesel conversion. I have been looking at alternatives to the land rover tdi engine and have wondered about these.

Cummins four cyclinder turbo One of the v6 aluminium diesels - for instance the isuzu Duramax v8 aluminium diesel

Any other thoughts please or comments on the above. The Duramax might be a second mortgage job and I already know where I can get a nice cummins four cyclinder low mileage. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
technical123

Ever thouught of a gas conversion in stead?

Peter.

Reply to
Pete S

Why would anyone think of that ?? Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Erik-Jan Geniets uttered summat worrerz funny about: :: Pete S wrote: :: ::: Ever thouught of a gas conversion in stead? :: :: Why would anyone think of that ?? :: Erik-Jan.

Emissions??

Because Diesels in Landrovers are about as much fun as sticking your head in a food mixer perhaphs :0)

Only advantage I've found over LPG is that they tend to run longer in deep water. But given the likelyhood of me getting that deep in water then for me personally It's not a problem.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

From Land Rover Monthly

Discovery V8 200Tdi V8 on LPG

Purchase price £1,500 £2,500 £1,500 + £1500 conversion Fuel Cost (20k miles) £5,222 £3,451 £1,938 Maintenance £300 £600 £300 Residual value £500 £1000 £750

Total £6,522 £5,551 £4,488

Fuel cost (10k miles) £4,361 £3,852 £3,519

Ian McDonald

Reply to
Doorbell

Reply to
Doorbell

On or around 2 Nov 2005 07:45:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com enlightened us thusly:

Where are you?

Mazda 3.5 6-pot is reckoned to be good. I bet the 4.2 Toyota would be fun, if it'd fit and if you could find one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:12:39 +0100, Erik-Jan Geniets enlightened us thusly:

depending on where you are in the world, Propane can be considerably cheaper than petrol/gasoline.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Montego is popular and you can get a kit to do the job, I suspect you will be restricted to engines for which a kit is available, or else you will be hand crafting clutch housings.

will the Cummins fit into a JCB do you think.

A few years ago a clever bugger I knew fitted a combine harvester engine into a series, 6cyl and it poked out the front, Can't ask how as a friend of mine legged it with his misses.

best of luck.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

I know of a Nissan diesel fitted to a Rangie, and I had a 6 cylinder Perkins in my old Vogue. Sounded like a bus mind. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I know where there is a V8 Perkins going cheap, its out of a ford cargo mind, and probably weighs best part of a ton!

Reply to
SimonJ

Why the heck would you want an engine that has a maximum speed of 2600 at best in a road car? Or anything other than a tractor or plant equipment?

Both those V engines are likely to be expensive but if you can find a totalled Saab and are clever enough to install it, then that is the best bet. Not too heavy or bulky. Reasonable refinement combined with power and economy and has the ideal rev range.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:06:27 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

depends on the 6-pot perkins. The 6354 is very much a lorry engine and too heavy... 'course, the BMW 6-pot diesels are highly regarded.

If you've got money... Audi do a nice V8 diesel :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:40:58 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

More likely a D-series... did the perkins V8 ever get into the Cargo?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Definitely a cargo, 'F' reg. The Perkins was quite common in the cargo, normally aspirated in the rigids, and in turbo form in the tractor units.

Reply to
SimonJ

A Toyota 1KZT diesel might be a go. 3 litre, turbo making

130BHP@3600rpm, 210ft-lb@2800rpm and redline at 4700rpm

Or if you don't want the turbo try a Toyota 5L. 3litre making

91BHP@4000rpm, 141ft-lb@2400rpm and redline well above 4800rpm.
Reply to
EMB

If that is governed to 4700 I'm a monkeys uncle. I've enough experience of that engine to know that it struggles to reach 4000erpm and is well out of puff at those revs. Still a suitable engine for what he needs though as all old Land Rover diesels are rated at around 4000 apart from the VM which were rated at 4200erpm.

The Isuzu 3.1 might also be suitable and easy to find these days.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Take Toyota's useless restrictive exhaust system and throw it away. Build a decent free flowing system and they develop a decent top end - I've done this for a client and he couldn't believe the difference.

Reply to
EMB

I resent that! :p

Ive done a diesel conversion to a series landrover. Took me a fair while.

I'm currently LPGing a car and i reckon its going to take me 2 days (not full ones either).

LPG is a lot less work..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I already have a lpg conversion but for this project I need a diesel, taking it abroad to where there is not a lot of lpg.

Reply to
technical123