Diesel Engine for a RRC

Has anybody ever put a Tdi engine into a Range Rover Classic - 3.5l Carb,

4 door 5 speed? I know they came out with them but not here in South Africa.

How difficult for the home DIYer? Maybe a 300Tdi to match my Defender.

As much as I love the V8 my wife is continually bitching about the fuel consumption. I think the problem is she only travels short distances - 2 to 5 kms and the choke is probably on most of the time. It has a Weber

38DGAS carb installed. Maybe I should disable the auto choke and see what happens.

I see there now seems to be a glut of Disco V8s for sale at ridiculously low prices - I saw a 95 for R50000, a 96 for a bit more and now someone has been offered only R40000 for his 97. About R12 to the GBP.

Maybe time for LPG. But that is not freely available here and they cannot keep up with the demand for gas heaters let alone a motor vehicle.

Reply to
Paul

Since the discos are so cheap, why not rather sell the rangie and get a disco Tdi. You will find that SerI discos are cheaper than similar year defenders. This also seems to be the case in england judging by the prices in the back of LRO etc.

I would imagine you would be out of pocket around R30K notes for a good tdi engine (the cost of a typical rebuild), and then you would have fit it and that would mean a new radiator and finding a place for the intercooler etc.

I would say you are definitely better off either soldiering on with the rangie as is, or getting a Tdi Disco rather than trying to do the conversion. Of course if you could get the Tdi free, then it might start to look viable, maybey.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Discos are cheap at the moment but mainly the V8s. Not that I have really been looking. The RRC is very attractive at the moment cos I have spent quite a bit of time and money on it. It also fits in our garage which is too low for a Disco.

Some of the blokes on the local forum suggested a cheap eco box. But I could buy a lot of fuel and I like a big chunk of metal for the wife and kid. And me.

And besides it would be fun to put a diesel in.

Reply to
Paul

On or around Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:32:40 +0200, Paul enlightened us thusly:

disco I TDis, even 300 types, aren't fetching a lot either. Market's flooded - and the most common failure for disco Is is rear body/chassis, or transmission. neither of which are a problem if all you want is the engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles