diesel fuel pressure

I have just changed a cambelt on a 2.5 diesel which is beleived to be a 19 j series as written in the haynes manual also linked to leyland daf. The cam belt had snapped now having retimed the engine following the haynes manual it will not start,problem being minimal fuel pressure from the high pressure pipes.the fuel is spitting out of the pipes when taken off from the injectors. Just how much pressure should there be at this point im wondering if this is the cause of the cambelt to break. thanks in advance for any info on this matter R Creegan

Reply to
R&P Creegan

the pressure is high but the volume of fuel is very small as it only spits a small ammount of fuel through the injector. have you had the rocker cover off? as the td i did had bent 4 pushrods

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Have you done a compression test on the engine? You have more than likely done serious internal engine damage when the belt snapped.

Fuel 'spitting' out of the injector pipes sounds pretty normal, there is only a small quantity of fuel delivered per stroke. The pressure in the pipes is controled by the injectors, when you have the pipes disconnected, no pressure will build up in them. (WARNING do not hold your finger over the injector pipes when turning the engine over, the pump will easily build enough pressure to inject the diesel through your skin)

Reply to
SimonJ

the injection pressure is about 200 bar (2500-3000 psi) SO DON'T GET IT ANYWHERE NEAR BARE SKIN IT WILL GO THROUGH I think there's very little chance this caused the belt to snap it's normally due to belt deteriation/contamination or mechanical failure ie tensioner or fuel pump seizing

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Just what sort of effect would a diesel injection have on the human body then, I suspect somthing not very nice?

Reply to
Simon Barr

A colleague of mine injected the end of his finger his finger it turned black and swelled to the size of a golf ball, the people at the hospital said he was very lucky that he didn't get it into his blood stream as it could have killed him he has no real feeling in his finger now so don't take any chances

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

As I thought, definitely *not* nice!

Reply to
Simon Barr

I'd go for the pushrods too. My 2.5D broke a belt before i had it, and it bent some pushrods. Mine damaged a couple of the valves too, but that didnt stop it running

Reply to
Tom Woods