Diesel or Petrol?

OK,

I'm the guy who wants to buy a Landover & I know nothing about them.

Should I buy a diesel or a petrol?

Pros & cons?

Thanks

Reply to
Quagga.R.T.M

Quagga.R.T.M uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Really it depends on the type of Landrover you buy and what sort of engine it has.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Not much difference in fuel consumption in reality, and as a hobby truck you won't be doing thousands of miles. So economy is probably neither here nor there.

I'd say petrols are easy to maintain and fiddle with (I've had both, and kept the petrol one). Yes, there's quite a few bits in the ignition system, but it's all easy to fix at home. The diesel fuel system is pretty reliable, but the injector pump is not an easy thing to maintain yourself.

My diesel was a complete slug - wouldn't top 50 mph. Sounds bearable, but in reality it was a real pain in the neck. My petrol, when it goes at all, will cruise the M1 behind the artics very happily.

Diesel comes into its own in deep water and in deepest Africa. With no electrics to drown it will go much deeper. And diesel is probably easier to find in the back of beyond.

For me, petrol every time. YMMV!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Depends on the age of truck you're buying. The early diesels (pre

200TDi) were either sluggish or unreliable compared to the petrols, but from the 200TDi onwards they had bags of torque and were very strong. Early 300TDi engines had a few well-known and easily rectified faults, once fixed they're very good engines. They can also be easily upgraded with things like larger intercoolers.

So pre-200TDi, petrol is yer best bet, but from 200TDi onwards then I reckon diesels win out. Lots of torque, they handle the damp, and you don't end up as one of those rev-happy dorks at pay-and-play sites who spin their wheels all over the place and shower everyone with diff teeth.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'd definitely second that. Over the years I've driven a fair few different LR products, and, pre-200tdi I'd go for petrol every time.

200tdi or later it's a closer thing, depending on product. Defender/Disco, I'd go for diesel, RR - the biggest V8 petrol you can get ;-)

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

I was out today with a V8 rangie, my petrol pinz, and a diesel disco, rangie conked out in a ford that didn't reach up much higher than the top third of the wheels. He got out of the ford OK but when he came off the throttle it died and we had to spend 15 minutes or so fiddle-arsing around with WD40 to get it to go again. It was fine afterwards but I'd not like to get a V8 wet if I could avoid it, I've seen too many conk out or run like dogs once you get them wet.

You can of course water-proof a petrol but what with the fuel consumption it doesn't seem worth it. Diesel is safer too, if you get a tank split it's not so much of a worry.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| The early diesels (pre || 200TDi) were either sluggish or unreliable compared to the petrols, || but from the 200TDi onwards they had bags of torque and were very || strong.

Just a word in defence of the 2.5 n/a diesel - they are pretty reliable, otherwise the army wouldn't have specified them for so long, and I always found mine acceptable in traffic. No fireball, but able to keep up. The

2.5 turbo has the bad reputation.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

I have to have a 2pence worth- I seem to be seeing a number of N/As and TD's ( including a colleagues) with a problem involving the woodruff key on the crankshaft, result being a mangled bottom pulley, keyway and also if you are unlucky timing pulley and the result of valves and pistons connecting. Mostly seem to be on rebuilt engines anyone else? Derek Disco Tdi200- busy writing a parts list for the weekend.

Reply to
Derek

tightened mine with an impact gun, looks ok

Reply to
jOn

jOn uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Tom where are you? Tom has a rebuilt Sherpa Diesel 2.5..... If any one does any lanes between Oswestry and Bala and sees a crank pulley bolt and keyshaft I'm sure Tom would appreciate them back.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm glad its not just me then! (2.5 N/A)

It chewed up its first woodruff key about 18 months ago.

It then dropped off its crank pulley bolt and chewed up another key a couple of weeks ago in wales. (probably lost this one as i hardly put any locktite on the bolt and the lock washer was crap!).

The bottom pulley seems to be reusable (though ask Lee and Tim how lucky I was to find it when it fell off near Nantwich!), though it and the crank are now slightly scored and worn - and the key hole is a little bit mauled. I am going to purchase a spare key and bolt to keep in the back when i next visit beamends!

Despite this - with a decent fuel distributer pump and a good battery/charging system i've no complaints about the 2.5 N/A engine. I used to get 30+ mpg out of mine when i drove it every day too.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think the replacement bits came to less than a fiver! (and that included a rear reflector and some door hinge nuts too!) - so it was probably once of my cheapest visits to a landrover parts stockists ever!

Reply to
Tom Woods

|| I have to have a 2pence worth- I seem to be seeing a number of N/As || and TD's ( including a colleagues) with a problem involving the || woodruff key on the crankshaft, result being a mangled bottom || pulley, keyway and also if you are unlucky timing pulley and the || result of valves and pistons connecting. || Mostly seem to be on rebuilt engines anyone else?

Happened on mine. Charge light was glowing, so tightened the alternator belt, and found out why the PO had left it slack! Mucho clattering from the front of the lump, crank pulley loose as a very loose thing. I got away with just tightening it, as there was no damage to the key or keyway. I wonder if they work slack because people take them off to do belts etc and don't quite realise just how tight they need to be when you put it all back together.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:11:09 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

300 TDi ones are so bloody tight that I never actually got it as tight as they say it should be. They're also next-to-impossible to remove.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

When i rebuilt my engine i couldnt get the crank pulley off initially as it was tighter than a tight thing. Had to stick the block in the back of my mates landy so he could take it to work where i think they parked a truck on it to stop it moving (or got lots of lads to sit on it!) and undid it with an air gun.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:35:37 +0100, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

easier way, big long breaker bar and a socket, wedge the breaker bar against the chassis and flick the ignition momentarily until the bolt loosens. Works for me every time.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Might have worked if i hadnt just driven the truck a couple of miles without any oil in and siezed the engine up! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:42:16 +0100, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

Simon Isaacs

On or around Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:29:31 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

that only worked in the disco 300 TDi after I a) bought a better breaker bar (the first one broke - and that had stood up to serious abuse in the past) and even then it required the bar to be set a couple of inches above the chassis so that it got a bit of momentum. just wedging it against the chassis and turning the starter did nothing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have found that quick flicks of the key usually works even on the most tight

Reply to
icky