Diesel to Gearbox fitting problem

O.K., finally got around to fitting a Peugeot XD2 diesel engine into a 109 SIII (originally fitted with a 2.25 LR diesel). The engine support brackets and the engine to gearbox adapter (or flywheel housing assy) have been sized such that the position of the gearbox primary pinion into the bronze flywheel bearing is the same for Peugeot engine to box in reference to LR engine to box. Now here's the problem. Both the original LR clutch as well as the Peugeot type clutch are of the type but to release the Peugeot clutch the clutch release bearing has to be in a position that is 12mm more towards the engine in reference to the original LR clutch.

Question : How can this problem be solved?

- a 12mm spacer between the diaphragm "tongues" and the release bearing?

- a proportionally longer slave cylinder pushrod?

- other options?

- don't care? (there might be enough possible travel from the slave cylinder piston) B.t.w., it is the later type gearbox with the clutch cylinder mounted horizontal on the lefthand side on the bell housing.

I hope the description makes sense, t.i.a.,

Jan.

Reply to
J.Koning

Hi Jan, I've been advised that using the engine makers clutch (Daihatsu in my case) that there isn't enough travel in the LR clutch mechanism. So it was advised to have the flywheel drilled and tapped to suit the LR clutch pressure plate. HTH.

Roy.

Reply to
LR90

Hi Roy, your solution did'nt strike my mind before. So, thanks for the spark. It certainly is an option but a rather drastic one. For example, the Peugeot clutch is smaller in diameter than the LR one. The Peugeot engine flywheel has a rather odd shape, i.e. it has circumferential lip around the clutch plate face area that would have to be machined off to allow for the larger LR clutch plate and clutch pressure plate. Next to that, drilling and tapping for bolting down the the LR pressure plate would be neccessary. Also, if machined off, I don't have any idea how the (somewhat) reduced flywheel mass/inertia would affect the engine characteristics. As said, certainly it's an option and doable but right now I would prefer to go for an easier solution. Any other ideas?

Rgds, Jan.

Reply to
J.Koning

I'd make a 12mm spacer to fit onto the face of the release bearing and I'd tack weld it on. Lots of juce to get good penetration of the weld and then cool it fairly quickly so the heat didn't get too much to the grease. Doing a short 'tack', cooling it, then another short 'tack'. Only need, say, four equaly spaced to hold it on. I fited a Hillman Imp engine to a Ford type 9 gearbox like this... don't ask! LOL Toby

Reply to
TVS

I've done the same in the past, but I find it easier to wander down to my local brake and clutch supplier with the existing bearing and see if he can match it up to a longer one - he normally comes up with something to work.

Reply to
EMB

"Sorry mate... we only sell complete kits and can't split them" Humm... where is this counrty going? Toby

Reply to
TVS