Different tyres front and back on Disco?

Hi there.

I finally have managed to get myself a Landrover ('94 Disco) after several years of trying to get one.

When I bought it, I have to admit that I know next to nothing about cars (though give me a set of instructions and I'll have a go at anything), so I got the AA to take a look at it. A few niggly things came up including the fact that one of the rear tyres had a crack in the wall, and the front two had very little tread left (just under 2mm). I changed both back tyres immediately ('cause you're supposed to change them in pairs, right?), but had to wait until this month before I could replace the front ones.

Now when I took the Disco into the nearest tyre place to replace the back ones, I read the tyre size and asked the guy to change them. When I came to pay he said that I'd got the size wrong - the ones he'd replaced were 235/70R16. Fine, no probs. I just thought I'd read it wrong.

When I took my Disco in to get the front tyres changed, I asked for a pair of 235/70R16. I had to make a call on the mobile and when he came back he had the bill, all was complete, but he told me I'd got the size wrong. I was in a huge rush at the time and didn't think anything more of it until this morning.

Checking, I find that I've got 235/70R16's on the back, and 205/80R16's on the front...which explains why I kept on getting the size wrong (I'd read it from the front when getting the rear changed and vice versa).

Now I know that this is going to make my axles rotate at different speeds, which (while unlocked) the centre diff will take care of (and I'll need to reverse a bit to undo the tension after locking the diff).

Is this normal to have two different sized tyres? I'm still wondering how two garages, the previous owner and the AA bloke that did the report all missed it...

I've also got two different makers of tyres (Avon Rangers on the front and General Ameri550 AS on the back). Is that OK, as I've seen discussion in several places giving conflicting advice?

Huge thanks for your help.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled Treharne

I would have thought it illegal for a tyre company to fit different size tyres to same vehicle unless specified as such by manufacturer. Check with your pals at the AA, apart from that you didn't get what you asked for!! (Most garages won't fit new tyres to the front, they will only put them on the back, so he must have looked at the back ones) Willie B

97 Disco
Reply to
Willie B

What do you expect if you go to Kwap-Fit?

My tyre man fits what I tell him to.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Beg pardon, I misread the tyre size as 235R75, not 235R70. You're right, there is very little difference between 235/70 and 205/80. In which case the two tyre sizes are equivalent, so no need to worry about centre diff problems.

Hehe. I was damn tired when I posted that reply.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

[SNIP]

Really? I've never googled hard enough to find out what the numbers relate to. :)

So I should be OK as-is then? (Damn. I was all ready to have a huge go at the tyre place!)

*grin* Oh, boy do I know that feeling.

Unfortunately, I've just found another problem on the Disco - I went to change the aerial (it's got the old telescoping silver ones and I wanted to put on a flexible new one). In trying to take the panel in the wheelarch off, I found that the inner wing is whole load of rust being held together by patches of good metal and paint. :( Kinda strange though since the rest of the car is in great nick.

Right, wallet out again then. :(

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled Treharne

I was beginning to doubt my ability to do basic geometry (again) :-)

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

Easy. Crossplys are labelled 750 16 or 750 x 16. The first number is the height of the tyre in inches, and the second is the diameter of the rim.

for Radials they are listed as 205/80 xR 16 where: 205 is the width of the tread.

80 is the height expressed as a percentage of the width, (optional) x is the speed rating (letters from R to Z), optional R indicates a Radial Type tyre 16 is the rim size

Note: if there is no profile stamped on the tyre (eg 205 R 16) the profile is a standard 82%

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Alex wrote: || Really? I've never googled hard enough to find out what the numbers || relate to. :) || | | Easy. Crossplys are labelled 750 16 or 750 x 16. The first number is | the height of the tyre in inches, and the second is the diameter of | the rim. |

750 inches high? I always thought the 750 meant 7 and a half inches tread width.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey