DII Rear brakes binding

Hi,

Just recently, since the salt season really started up here, both rear hubs have been hot after a trip. First alerted by the higher requirement of go pedal and a large drop in the MPG (30+ to 24...)

By stint of every now and again standing on the brake pedal, when stationary a couple of times I can free 'em off such that the hubs remain cold even after bowling down the motorway for an hour+ at 60mph. Any braking though and they'll start to warm up again, not often too hot to touch but definately hot and not really noticeable in the go pedal, just the MPG (28's instread of 30). This isn't normal braking heat, as they'll be hot even after using the gears and minimal braking to slow down and the front hubs cold.

I don't think it's a wheel bearing issue, why would leaning on the brakes give a temporary cure? And I've done over 1,000 miles since I first noticed the problem. I feel bearings shagged enough to get hot would have fallen apart by now.

It happens both sides though the near side is less affected. Is this likely to be sticky calipers, sticky cylinders or sticky front/rear balancing valve?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sticky calipers with rust and s**te on the pistons. Buy some caliper kits (and maybe new pistons) and rebuild the calipers

Reply to
EMB

|Dave Liquorice wrote: | |> It happens both sides though the near side is less affected. Is this |> likely to be sticky calipers, sticky cylinders or sticky front/rear |> balancing valve? | |Sticky calipers with rust and s**te on the pistons. Buy some caliper |kits (and maybe new pistons) and rebuild the calipers

I need to do the same soon. Got a good recomendation for a mail-order source for the kits?

Reply to
Howie

Yes. Definitely. As EMB says, a rebuild is the cure, but I reckon pulling them off and cleaning off and lubing the pistons will get rid of the problem for a while. If they are undefuckable, you'll find out when you have a look, but a bit of a clean and some TLC will go a long way.

Reply to
Rich B

Yes, but being 12,000 miles away from the UK it's unlikely to be useful for you.

Reply to
EMB

I don't think I'll go quite that far but may well have a look to see how crudded up the calipers are and give 'em clean. But not today, it has been warm (around 6C) but raining nearly non-stop (20mm or so) so wrestlng with heavy, cold, wet, wheels and sitting in a puddle doesn't have much appeal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wimp.

:)

Reply to
Rich B

Rich B wibbled

Surely, and I realise your name isn't Shirley, in todays PC world, the phrase should be 'character building'?

;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Shirley, and I know your name isn't Surely, it should be "testosterone-limited, comfort-oriented, low-temperature-allergic, moisture-vulnerable person".

Or Big Girl's Blouse, as we otherwise know it.

By the way, before anyone accuses me of spoiling the festive mood, I wouldn't be outside changing wheels and stripping brakes on the Landy in this weather (high wind and rain here) for love nor money. Unless I had a garage, which I haven't. Well, I have, but it's full of other stuff. And the Landy wouldn't fit in anyway. Christ, it's 9am and I'm rambling already. Must be last night's neat Malibu.

Reply to
Rich B

Hi I spent an hour or two on boxing day freeing off the offside rear on mine. I didn't dismantle just worked the piston in an out a few times. Seems free enough at the moment but don't expect it to be a long lived cure. What would be the best/safest lubricant to use on the piston, please?

Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

Rubber grease (NOT ordinary grease, which will rot the seals). Hard to come by, but worth having a bit in stock.

Don't ask me what the difference is. We have experts on this group for that :-)

Reply to
Rich B

Perzackerly. The landy might just fit but I'm not sure if there would be enough head room to jack it up to get a wheel off or enough space down the side to get at the wheel in the first place.

Still raining here, 13mm since midnight, on top of the 24mm yesterday. Wind is only F6 (25mph steady) gusting to the low 30's mph. It is warmer at over 8C.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Rubber grease - Girling Red Rubber Grease, available (in this hemisphere anyway) from Castrol stockists.

Reply to
EMB

It's non-petroleum based (generally castor oil based).

Reply to
EMB

I'd be tempted to use a pin head sized drop of brake fluid and allow capilary action to take it into the cylinder/piston gap. After all that will be able to take the heat and not rot the rubber seals. Snag is brake fluid is hygroscopic so may well not be a good idea...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I knew some bugger would come up with the goods. Ta.

And a HNY to you and yours.

Reply to
Rich B

And to you. I'll be well into a hangover by the time the new year rolls round for you - but at least I'll be able to sit outside enjoying the sunshine whilst I recover ;-)

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:29:05 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I have to admit to a touch of sub-standard myself this morning. Several pints last night...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

How about KY?

Alex