DII TD5 ignition barrel problems

I have a 2001 TD5 DII. Lately I have been having an intermittent problem with igition key not being able to turn in the barrel. It doesnt appear to be down to the steering lock as moving the wheel as no bearing on the problem. If I lubricate the key with dry graphite lubricant and then push in and out of the ignition barrel a few times, the problem is solved, for while!

Am I going to havve top fork out for anew ignition barrel and key or is there a quick fix anyone knows about?

Cheers

Justin

Reply to
Justin Bell

How does the spare key perform? Maybe the culmulative wear in lock and on the key has just got too much. The (unused?) spare key will push things back into the working range.

The steering lock might be sticking, have a play. It should clunck off when the steering wheel is moved from being held, by the tyres, against the lock.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Dave

Spare key performs the same although it is relatively pristine and unused. Will check the steering lock in the morning.

Thanks for your reply

Justin

Reply to
Justin Bell

My barrel has worn such that the key (old or new) will only work when fitted in one particular direction. Turn it over and it's a 'no go'.

I've heard that this is not unknown.

Reply to
Dougal

My barrel has worn such that the key (old or new) will only work when fitted in one particular direction. Turn it over and it's a 'no go'.

I've heard that this is not unknown.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks Dougal, hadn't thought of that, will give it atry next time it's a problem. Good call!

Chhers

Justin

Reply to
Justin Bell

Mine did that and I found a squirt of WD40 on the Key and then inserted into the barrel lubricates things enough for it to not happen again for about 6 months.

Or if ya brave straight in to the barrel !!

Reply to
Dave H