DII Value

In anticipation of my DII being written off what does the panel think would be an acceptable offer from the insurance company?

2001 Y reg, Discovery Series II TD5 ES (ie pretty tricked up). 92,000 miles. Bonatti grey. 7 seat. Heated front seats and windscreen. Light tan leather upholstery. Electrically operated front seats. Electric, folding and heated door mirrors. Electronic diming rear view mirror with compass. Harmon Cardon sound system (6 CD autochanger). 16" Alloy wheels, tyres at about 50% worn. Aircon front and rear. Cruise Control. Privacy glass behind B post. Driver and passenger air bags. Tow hitch, ball or pin coupling, with trailer and caravan wiring. Side steps. Full dealer service history. Full tank of diesel (all but 60 miles)!
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Around £5.5k to £5.75k

Now, 35p ;)

TBH, buy it back off the inco & sell all the good bits off. You'll make a killing, or repair it yourself & sell it.

Reply to
Nige

Get on to Auto trader and start to print off all the same model ones and also on to the local non franchised sites.

When they start quoting book prices state quite simply that it's an insult and it won't replace the vehicle which is what you want ultimately... unless of course they offer the going rate. Produce the print outs as evidence of what a like replacement will cost. It's that simple. I got exactly the Autotrader going rate when our RRC was written off by a third party.. They took off the scrap value of the car (£400 then) and I kept the car and the pay out less the £400 :-)

Yours of course isn't a third party claim so in effect your cars ass is theirs so to speak.

Tank of fuel = £100 or five jerry cans and a hose.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't know but will just throw in the usual suggestion that you buy it off them and sell its parts on fleabay, it's possible to take a written-off truck and sell its parts for more than you can get for the truck. A friend of mine wrote off a mud-plugging disco, got the insurance cash, bought the disco, stripped it and flogged it and added the two amounts together and ended up with a grand or two more than he started with and bought a decent Defender.

And what's left can be scrapped now too.

I'm sure there are probably people here who've done it and can offer more up-to-date views on that and whether it still works.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't expect them to push the value down, they gave me a fair price fo= r the Mondeo when I wrote that off four years ago (almost to the day!).

5k is about what I thought it should be worth and I'll have a dig about = on Autotrader etc. Thanks guys.

As for buying it back and selling the bits it's an idea, have the space,= but, TBH, probably not the inclination. Being in the middle of nowhere i= s not conducive to shipping/shifting the heavier bits that I have no means= of handling anyway (engine, gearbox, axles etc). Also it's currently in = a yard 30 odd miles away and I have no means of moving it(*). Pretty sure = it would drive here, taken easy, being a Land Rover the body work is a bit =

superfluous but I don't think it would be legal by a long chalk! Maybe I= should have driven it back home straight after the prang, not many peopl= e about at 0800 on cold Saturday morning on that road. B-)

Not to mention I need as much cash as possible now to get a replacement =

fairly quickly as I need a reasonable car for work. Thinking of getting = a "few hundred quid, good runner, MOT and Tax 'till 2009, box with wheels"= to tide me over so I don't have to rush into buying when the insurance have confirmed the write off and want their hire car back.

(*) Unless I could persuade the AA to shift it for free but they wanted =

=A3140 to pick it up from the prang.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:40:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

you know, they're gonna up your premium for having accidents in a pattern soon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well they knock 25% off my annual premiums if I promise not to drive along the B6277 from Garrigill to Barnard Castle in the first week of November

2012?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the answer is:

=A37k, I nearly fell of me chair!

But did have the wits to say I was going to have to pay about 10k for a =

replacement, where upon the insurance chap wandered around autotrader et= c and came up with figures of the upper 6k mark. Forgot about the full tan= k of diesel though, damn.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice