Dim Instrument Lights - or is it me being dim?

OK, I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question - but can anyone tell me how to adjust the brightnes of the instrument lights in my '95 Defender 110? If there's a control for this, I can't find it! Mind you, its very non-standard - still has blue strobes and sirens fitted (ex-RN Bomb Disposal) so perhaps if there should be a rheostat it's been moved/removed. If there's no adjustment control, is there a way I can brighten things up?

Thanks in anticipation,

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Nuttall

moved/removed.

Anything like my ex-army 110 defender was then apart from fitting brighter bulbs then your stuck as they are. I could just about see my speedo at night time.Although the oil,water temp gauges were ok and so was the fuel gauge. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Be VERY careful about using brighter bulbs - having once been stupid enough to follow a similar suggestion from "here" I won't do it again. Every single one blew in short order, having melted the plastic housing in each instrument - lots of time with a dremel to cure that little proplem.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

If it is the same as my earlier 110 there is no adjustment for brightness. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:40:34 +1100, JD enlightened us thusly:

there isn't, only a switch to have panel lights, no lights or interior light.

check that all the bulbs are present and correct - there are 2 in the speedo.

and yeah, wot he said. use brighter bulbs and you'll melt the plastic housings, which makes subsequent removal impossible, you then have to pull things apart to replace 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

brightness.

Thanks again everyone - Best left well alone. I reckon I'll just squint a little harder! Stand by for more elementary questions!

Reply to
Stuart Nuttall

Twas Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:40:38 +0000 (UTC) when "Stuart Nuttall" put finger to keyboard producing:

I've just repleced the 2 bulbs in my speedo, all my instrument bulbs are blackened and looking like they have been there 20 years, I recently bought some new headlamp bulbs and they threw in some free sidelight bulbs, sadly they don't fit my sidelights but they do fit my instruments, works a treat now.

Go pull a bulb out, if it looks blackened try putting a new one in, worked for me.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

With a bit of pissing around you could probably manage to get a couple of superbright white(or whatever colour takes your fancy) LED's in there, which give off no heat, and will be far brighter than bulbs. Not sure if the end result will be worth all the messing though.

Reply to
SimonJ

The other obvious check is for a good electrical circuit. Earth might be a bit poor. Back in the Series days, the instrument lights had their own switch, and could be switched off independently of the main lighting switch. If you have that, work the switch a few dozen times, which should clean the internal contacts.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:39:36 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

sidelight bulbs, being 5W, will probably melt yer speedo light things as described. the normal instrument lights are something like 1.2W.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:58:53 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

bl**dy h***, I better go swap them back again....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:30:49 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

hehe. BTDT, as the previous poster. one of my speedo light things is now U/S as a result. The bulb holder slides into a black plastic thing, said BPT has a green transparent lid screwed onto it inside the speedo which holds it in, I think. 'cept mine was melted a funny shape and had the remains of the broken bulb glued into it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:36:22 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

My clock has a broken bit of bulb in it, maybe that is what happened there. the bulbs I took out of my speedo were 3 watt and the ones I put in where 5 watt, I didn't think there would be much difference in heat. They are still in there as I've not had a chance to change them, I don't expect to need the lights until monday night anyway..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

i presume you mean the high beam/indicator etc light panel below temp gauge , if so then the only thing you may be able to do is fit one from an earlier [1984 onwards] vehicle . i am not sure if they will drop straight in though .

my 95 300tdi 90 has the same problem but i have got used to it now .

there is no adjustment to brightness as i know of .

Reply to
M0bcg

Mr.Nice. > >

Trust me - stick with the recommended wattage (can't remember what that is tho) - the 5 watts WILL fubar the green transparent bit in the instrument. Replacing these is not an option unless you can get the instrument apart and that is not easy!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Be nice to pull the speedo apart coz my piggin trip counter is a git to zero.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

On or around Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:11:46 -0000, "jOn....." enlightened us thusly:

you have to get the ring off the front, preferably without buggering it so that it'll go back on. 's a bit like getting tyres off, you have to lever and pry at it with a small screwdriver, usually ends up slipping and gouging a hole in yer hand. Having done that, undo 2 small screws with hex heads one either side of the speedo cable, and the mechanism comes out. WD40 plus correct installation of the parts makes the trip-zero function smoothly again IME.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ta, I'll have to have a go at that.

-- Jon