Dimentions of a R380 gearbox for a discovery.

Does anybody know the dimetions of a R380 that is ment to fit into a Landrover discovery.

The plan is to make an adapter that will mate a R380 to a Cummins 6BT then fit them into my Rangerover Classic. Yes I know it sounds like a lot of work.

If anybody knows of a pre made adapter plate could they let me know as that is an option and I have serched on the interweb with no success. "There used to be loads of machine companys making adapter plates at one time."

Please help if you can. Ed

Ed

Reply to
eddie.d

I forgot to mention the dimentions I need are:-

  1. The length of the input shaft.
  2. The protrushion of the shaft past the end of the flywheel housing.
  3. The dimention and bolt pattern of the flywheel housing.

Note, The cummins flywheel housing has a SAE #3 pattern if that helps, and I need to convert from that to the R380 pattern to fit the Discovery flywheel housing and gearbox.

Again many thanks

Eddie

Reply to
eddie.d

Sorry I can't help you with the dimensions, but I think the Cummins will tear an R380 apart! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

IIRC the 380 in its name represents 380Nm of torque (about 280 lb-ft). An early 6BT starts at 400 lb-ft and the late ones run close to 600 so I'll back Badger's thoughts.

The 500kg+ weight of a ready to run 6BT won't do much for your Disco either.

Reply to
EMB

I wonder if the OP has been looking here

or here
or here

Dougal

I did see this on YouTube but only reason I want to do it is I work for Cummins.

I know the issues with the torque, but I was led to belive that the later TD5 R380 box was stronger.

Weight could be an issue as well but springs are available for the weight. Also been advised to fit twin shocks at the front to aid.

What I realie need is some sort of adapter plater. Been led to belive that SAE #3 that Cummins use is the same as chevy but not confirmed.

Planning on using a dodge Ram exhaust silencer coupled to a custom 2

1/2" - 3" stainless system. 6cylinder Cummins engine used in Dodge Ram.

Ed

Reply to
eddie.d

Look at the chassis legs and axles and suspension of a Ram - you'll see why it just won't work in a Landy. The ram stuff is way, way heavier - for a reason! The Cummins is a great engine, but apart from anything else you'll tear the spring and engine mounts from the chassis first hard usage it gets. EMB is right, it won't work! You might get away with an early auto rangie box (chrysler torqueflite TF727 - it can take massive torque) with the correct chrysler group bellhousing, but you'll still have the chassis issues as mentioned above, plus the all-up weight on the front axle, plus the half-shafts and propshafts! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Understood about issues with what you said but chassis has been reinforced already with plates along chassis already strengthened shock mounts could be an issue will strengthen them. Transmission is beefed up as axles where reinforced when diff locks / strengthened shafts with more than enough strength. This is all protected with fused front UJ's. Will carry a lot of spares as these are designed to shear before the transmission.

Wanted rearly to keep as a manual box as not keen on Auto's (personal choice, yes I know some people prefer Auto's off road.)

An in great need of Dimentions of the R380 gearbox though if anybody can help?

Eddie

Reply to
eddie.d

'dimensions'

Reply to
Nige

Sorry, yes dimensions.

Yes after the dimensions of a R380 gearbox.

The main dimensions are:-

  1. The dimensions and hole pattern for a Discovery flywheel housing the end that attaches to the block including the machined mating face.

  1. The length of the gearbox input shaft including diameters ect.

  2. The length of the gearbox input shaft that protrudes past the machined face of the flywheel housing, with and without the part of the shaft that goes into the supporting bush in the flywheel.

Any diagrams would be of great help.

Many thanks Eddie

Reply to
eddie.d