Disabling rear fog lights for MOT

The rear fogs on the 101 dont work - and the fault is in the loom that runs to them through the chassis.

I assume that rear fogs on a 101 are not required by law - but just have to work if they are there?

Since time is limited before my test, I reckon it will be easier to disable them than fix the wiring. If i remove the lens cover/bulb and then tape over the back section (which is attached with some very rusty bolts) and perhaps slap some black paint over it, will that count as not existing in the eyes of the MOT regulations?

Reply to
Tom Woods

from motester.co.uk: "Fog lamps must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980".

So if its older than 1980, then i'd take it off...assuming you can get the back box off! Just make sure the wiring isnt lost so that when you come to refit you wont have lost the wiring.

Reply to
Pacman

Even though they are covered up, is it not obvious that they are lamps, fitted but not working? Surely wouldn't it be simpler just to run another wire through the chassis or even take them off?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks guys,

Its registered on an 1982 plate (date when it was ambi converted not built), so strictly I do need them unless i go through the hassle of getting my v5 updated first..

I looked at the wiring, and realised that the rear fogs arnt actually in the loom proper, as they were an ambulance addition... Cable is cable tied onto the chassis, and doesnt work because i've cut it when i rewired the truck as i didnt know what it did! (i rewired everything except the front to back stretch which i just plugged into). I had got confused while wiring and had run a fog light feed through the wire to the convoy light (which evidently has a dead bulb!)

I then remembered that i had bodged the fog lights back when i last mot'd it before rewiring it - and have dug out the old bodge and rebodged it again using a wire running inside the vehicle.

Hopefully it will pass!

Having had to change a bulb today and unscrew a light, there is very little left of the back sections of my lights if you pull out the rubber inner section, so i think i could quite easily paint them and pretend that there wasnt supposed to be a light there!

Reply to
Tom Woods