Disc change

Hi all, How easy is it to change the front brake discs on a Disco I 200 TDi 1992.

Just ordered a couple from Beamends ( great price!) and don't trust/can't be bothered to get HBOL from nasty cold garage tonight!

Any pitfalls to watch out for? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Yes, make sure that you don't get the discs muddled up, one is left handed, one is righthanded.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Gosh thanks Alex. That seems odd but I'll be careful. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Alex uttered summat worrerz funny about:

For real? The last set I had were the same, that said it was a RRC but no difference to the naked eye.

Both bolt to the hub so whats the difference unless they are cross drilled, My D1 ones are just vented.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

My 1995 3.9 V8 hasnt even got vented ones. Just solid. Is it worth upgrading to drilled or vented when I change them in the spring?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

A nice conversion you can perform on a 300 series Disco with single feed to the front is use 110 Vented front calipers these have the larger pistons and seem to give a better breaking performance these with a cross drilled and vented disc are great for road use. When fitting any caliper I always rebuild them using stainless pistons and Genuine seals this combination seems to last forever as you don't get seized pistons, uneaven wear, or the wiper seals popping out due to exccesive heat.

Brian Tonks Tonks4x4

Reply to
Brian Tonks

You did forget the winking smiley?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Perhaps it depends which way round you offer them up to the hub? ;-) ( Completely taken in. Reminds me of the time a hospital sister sent a student nurse off to get a pair of fallopian tubes. And he went.) TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

My first factory based holiday job was Controlled Packaging in Westbury when I was 15. I was sent to the stores for a can of striped paint and a long stand. On arrival at the stores I told the storeman what I'd been sent for, and that I knew the joke. He sat me dowm, and made a brew. He then found a tin of paint that had a good solid crust on it and painted some (red) stripes on the crust, with matching stripes on the lid. After another brew the foreman sent someone to find me.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:30:51 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd scribbled the following nonsense:

Those are the sort of jokes that I miss playing now I'm in education.....Kids parents tend not to see the funny side.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Westbury in Wiltshire???

Reply to
Ripley

Indeed - I lived in Bratton for many years. Very nice until they built Colditz.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Been a long time since I did this on a 1989 RR but, as I recall, getting the discs off the hubs in situ was impossible. I remember taking the whole hub off, rebolting it to the wheel and then sitting on the tyre whilst slackening the bolts that hold the disc ot the hub. The bolts themselves were some sort of splined ones but I found a deep socket which fitted just fine.

Maybe somebody else could confim the method I used to get the discs and hubs apart - I am preety sure that I picked it up on here to start with?

Greame

Reply to
Graeme

Getting the discs off the hubs insitu would be a neat trick as they are bolted to the back of the hubs. Bolting the hub to undo the disc bolts is, though, a good trick. Getting the disc off the hub, even with the bolts removed, is often a fairly violent procedure ;-)

You have to take the calipers off - make sure that you use the right size multipoint socket (and a good quality one at that) - if you get metric/ imperial/13mm/14mm mixed up then you stand a good chance of knackering the bolt heads, and then you *are* in trouble. I actually did mine during the week (Sock! Horror! BeamEnds actually maintains own vehicle!) and found that, though a 14mm socket fitted ok, I could tap on (with a hammer) a 13mm socket - the bolt came out easily with no damage at all. I'm not reccommemding that though, just a personal observation!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, i was having a windup. Was gonna wink, but I left the smiley off because i wanted to see how many people would take me seriously.

As for Apprentice's impossibilities, there are endless amounts to choose from, viz.

A Long Weight (particualrly usefull if you have handy a set of weights with one missing) Bucket of Gas Glass Hammer Lefthanded Screwdriver Set of Skyhooks Tartan Paint A Long Slow Screw Some metal sparks for the grinder Set of clearances Tin of Elbow Grease Non-Duplex paper for the copier Dehydrated Water Box of Holes Solar powered Torch (they do exist, actually - rechargable) Indian Rope (for when there's nothing to tie the top end to) Single ended sash clamp Lumionous Sundail Diluted Water Inflatable Dartboard Waterproof Teabag Bags for the Dyson (This is a relativly new one!) Bubbles for the spirit level Diesel Spark Plugs

And the list goes on....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

:-)) We used to send the student radiographers out to the waiting room with a fake request form. They'd bellow out for a Mr. Hugh Janus before realising. Don't think we'd get away with it these days though. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

...and TonyB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Isn't he the cousin of Mike Hunt we used to ask them to page over the tannoy in the Co-op?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I went to school with a Michael Hunt - we got a lot of mileage getting people to page him :)

Reply to
EMB

...and EMB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Unrelated, but I went to school with a John Smith, who once spent a night in the cells because the police wouldn't believe he was giving his real name.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

d'uh - that's what the skyhooks is for.

Reply to