Disco 02 auto probs

Hi all

I don't know if this is a problem or normal. when I am not towing my caravan the car runs and changes gear no probs but when I am towing and climbing a big hill with the Revs at 3000 its like it selects the wrong gear and the revs drop to 2000 and the car starts to struggle so I have to manually select d2. any ideas?.

Reply to
Indi

On or around Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:27:32 +0100, "Indi" enlightened us thusly:

The ZF 4 speed has a habit of locking up the TC, which, if you got from 3rd to 4th-lockup gives (in the rangie) about 1000 rpm drop at 60.

The lockup speed is dependant on box/vehicle, and can give you silly answers. Putting yer toe down more should make it change back to 3rd, though, unless the kickdown is out of adjustment.

Note, I suspect the D2 may use a different box and may be electronic control. But it sounds like the same effect.

In the rangie, pulling the lever back to 3 makes sense sometimes to stop it hunting between 3 and 4.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep, give it a hand, thats why the selector is there :-)

Or toe it as Austin suggests.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks Guys will try what you both suggested when it does it again.

Reply to
Indi

Agreed. My D2 auto was happier in 3 when towing on any gradient, even shallow ones. The control is electronic, as Austin suggests. Once it has locked in 4 (with the associated rev drop) it can take a good boot to get it to change back. I used to just slip it into 3 to get up the hill and then back to 4 on the level.

If it's the Td5, then I have to say that I found the autobox a bad mismatch with the engine. It seems to struggle with any kind of load. The D2 I had with a manual box was a far easier towcar (and used a lot less fuel in the process). I haven't had a V8 Disco, but the V8 RR with the autobox was a sweet combination.

Reply to
Rich B

I agree, the TD5 & autobox was pretty s**te, also useless on fuel as it also says in this months comic.

Reply to
Nige

The best solution really is a chip which will substantially bolster the TD5's lack of low down torque, which will allow it to pull better when the box has decided to lockup in 4th.

Still be used to manually moving the selector to 3 though..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sounds like a good idea do you know how much it costs to get it chipped?.

Reply to
Indi

Please dont top post.

I would recommend

or
both of these firms cut their teeth on finishing off the job LR started.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim will check these out.

Reply to
Indi

Chipping seems the most cost-effective way of getting a D2 to perform as it needs to. I didn't take personally to Jeremy Fearn when he did my D1, but the quality of work was excellent.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:37:48 +0100, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

That's the understatement of the decade. I remember your posting at the time :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Christ, I'd forgotten all about it until the topic came up. No, I wasn't best pleased.

Reply to
Rich B

May I also suggest the following?

and

Both offer excellent service and have very logical pricing policies.

I can also recommend the removal of the EGR valve. We do that thing all the time here in Greece and it always provide a very positive feedback from the owners of the TD5 engined vehicles.

If increasing the turbo boost is not something that you are afraid to do you can also have something done for it by selecting the TD5Alive turbo booster.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi All

I Tow with an auto box with my v8 & Use 3rd or 2nd when driving up hills etc use D only for level driving Regards Skinty

Reply to
Skinty

I have a TD5 auto and tow a large caravan with it,ive just returned from wet cornwall and drove home in sport mode.What a differance it stopped all the above with better speed uphill,a simple ease off the power on the flat was all that was needed to lock the 4th gear up again.Fuel consumption stayed basically the same 22mpg appx.

Reply to
Tim