Disco 1 Leaking Heater Core

Dear group, Well, it appears that my beloved Disco is feeling neglected once again, and is demanding me to spend some money on her. It appears that the heater core has developed an internal leak (this was evidenced by the aroma of coolant and a fine mist emanating form the dash vents). At the same time and I am not sure if it is related, the Air Conditioning is also playing up. The compressor engages for 10-20secs and then disengages. Now for the questions... Is the heater core easily replaced? Are there any Air-con components that will need to be disconnected or removed to replace the heater core? Is the leak in the core affecting the air-con or is it unrelated and also buggered?

Is anyone aware of any adverse health implications of the coolant vapour?

As if this isn't enough, my wife has just reversed into a low tree branch, popping the roof rack off the roof (bending all the gutters) and depositing it onto the bonnet (leaving a nasty dent) before hitting the ground...At least the roof rack is undamaged :-/

Cheers,

Chookie '98 300Tdi Discovery SE Perth, Western Australia

Reply to
R & K Fowler

Felt adventurous on the weekend and decided to replace the leaking heater core... Paid $330 AUD for the genuine LR part and was advised that it is a big job and that I should allow 1/2 days labour...(famous last words)

After removing the console, centre section of the dash, the instrument binnacle and instruments themselves, I came to the conclusion that there is absolutely no way known to remove the heater core (which was frustratingly visible immediately after removing the console) without removing the entire dashboard assembly from the vehicle due to a 2 inch strip of dashboard lying in front of the heater assembly. ( if only this section was removable!) I despondently replaced all that I removed and have decided to live without a heater (we don't really need one anyway, I tell myself) and bypassed it out of the engine coolant cycle. Chances are it would only start to leak again in 5 years time anyway :-( This is a common problem with Disco's apparently.

Getting back to basics ;-) Cheers, Chookie

Reply to
R & K Fowler

Chooky; No, I don't think you need a heater in WA but we here in Canberra do. Last night it was minus 7 (-seven) here. I never had any problems with the coolant/heating circuit in my 1993 Tdi Disco. Have you used a good liquid such as Glycol to prevent corrosion and other damage to the internals ?. Only last week I installed a new thermostat ($A22.50) as the original would not fully open and the gauge only went up to the second line or about 1/4 full scale. In your case I would suggest to add some leak preventative such as "Bars leaks". NULON now make good stuff too. There are many good sealers on the market now. Please let me know how you go. Good luck Frank In frosty Canberra

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,

: > Is anyone aware of any adverse health implications of the coolant vapour? : >

: > As if this isn't enough, my wife has just reversed into a low tree branch, : : > popping the roof rack off the roof (bending all the gutters) and : depositing : > it onto the bonnet (leaving a nasty dent) before hitting the ground...At : > least the roof rack is undamaged :-/ : >

: > Cheers, : >

: > Chookie : > '98 300Tdi Discovery SE : > Perth, Western Australia : >

: >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Hi Chookie, are you sure the core is the problem or is it the 2 "O" rings that are in the pipes that join the heater core to the pipes from the engine (this is a common problem) ? The removal of the heater core requires that the AC line is disrupted, so you will need to get it degassed and regassed properly. Sounds like you are going to need to do this anyhow.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Definetly the matrix

The Bloke at the place from where I bought the replacement from did point out that the O rings could be a potential place of leaking (even said that the pipeing was causing an occasional source as well) but in my case, they are fine..(he did say that the O rings and there quirky clamps were not the greatest idea to come out of Landrover as everything had to be aligned perfectly to get a good seal.) Something like 98% of leaks are in the Matrix due to a weak point. Some of the earlier model's heater core had plastic tanks and used to leak between the plastic tanks and the core (remedied with an aftermarket matrix with brass tanks), but in my case it is all alloy with no aftermarket options. Surprisingly, he reckons the '98 model is easier to replace so I would hate to think about the earlier models.

It is even the more frustrating as this car was routinely serviced and only the recommended coolants used so I can't even blame "going on the cheap and cutting corners" as being at fault. Cheers, Chookie

frustratingly

Conditioning

ground...At

Reply to